PS5 Pro’s $700 Pricing Blamed on “Lack of Competition” as Polls Suggest Most Players Won’t Be Buying Sony’s New System

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The PS5 Pro, an updated version of the 2020 video game console that is set to deliver several improvements over the original model, including an upgraded GPU, more powerful ray tracing, and AI-driven upscaling via PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution, is priced at $699.99 because Sony Interactive Entertainment has less competition to worry about these days, according to the latest thoughts shared by Piers Harding-Rolls, a games industry analyst at Ampere.

See full article...

PC gamers
Buys 4070 super for $600

Sony releases PS5 pro with 4070 super equivalent GPU
Gets ideas from Nvidia

Metro readers discuss the PS5 pro situation:

To paraphrase Ian Malcom, Sony was so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
I found the PS5 Pro reveal to be very motivational. I mean, if Sony has the stones to release a £700 console that they don’t seem to be making any games for, then I can negotiate a raise at work or ask out that girl I like.

Metro readers discuss the PS5 pro situation:

To paraphrase Ian Malcom, Sony was so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
I found the PS5 Pro reveal to be very motivational. I mean, if Sony has the stones to release a £700 console that they don’t seem to be making any games for, then I can negotiate a raise at work or ask out that girl I like.

Developers probably are asking for it, but they’re generally not business-oriented. It’s Sony and other publishers that should’ve realised the idea was madness at this price.

Developers probably are asking for it, but they’re generally not business-oriented. It’s Sony and other publishers that should’ve realised the idea was madness at this price.

Another comment:

"Just realised that Sony got the name of the new machine wrong. PS5 Pro-fit. There. I fixed it. Now, you can get a second job and own one too. Or, maybe buy two! Mark Cerny is Ken Kutaragi and I claim my prize!"

PC gamers
Buys 4070 super for $600

Sony releases PS5 pro with 4070 super equivalent GPU
Gets ideas from Nvidia
Yep, I've been seeing a ton of similar things on Reddit like this and can't argue against it either. I still say folks ought to be taking a look at the 4070 TI SUPERs (worst name ever) since for $799 it's a decent offer for a scaled-down 4080 GPU and will run circles around PS5 Pro. I wouldn't be surprised if some go on sale for less soon unless inventory dries up.

Just had a thought for a funny meme.

1. Meeting at Microsoft: A staff person raises their hand and says "I heard the new PS5 Pro will cost $700, I wonder if that'll cause Series S sales to increase?"
2. Uncomfortable silence as all stare at each other
3. Room bursts out laughing as Spencer chokes saying "Oh c'mon now, that'll never happen!"

Just had a thought for a funny meme.

1. Meeting at Microsoft: A staff person raises their hand and says "I heard the new PS5 Pro will cost $700, I wonder if that'll cause Series S sales to increase?"
2. Uncomfortable silence as all stare at each other
3. Room bursts out laughing as Spencer chokes saying "Oh c'mon now, that'll never happen!"
Reminds me of the time, during covid lockdown shortages, when these things were selling like hot cakes

One of two things will happen here:

People will get over the price. Scalpers scoop these things up, and we see them selling on ebay for $1500+ anyway amid "scarcity". I mean, this is what has happened with almost every nVidia release for the past few generations.

But if by the time Black Friday hits, if scalpers haven't kept the inventory dry, we see many amazing sales and big combo deals pop up. And this is what has happened with almost every AMD release for the past few generations.

Last edited:
I think the initial high price is very much the ideal situation for manufacturers that are having their product scalped day 1. Why let the scalpers get all the profit? Come out with a price 2x - 3x what you would normally charge, let the scalpers eat the inventory at huge profit, and then lower the price over time.

Become a Patron!
Back