PS5 Teardown Provides Intimate Look at AMD Ryzen/Radeon SoC and Cooling Configuration

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-5-teardown-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

Masayasu Ito (EVP, Hardware Engineering and Operation, Sony Interactive Entertainment) has given us our first look at the inside of a PlayStation 5. The console is fully disassembled over the course of the presentation, which allows us to see everything down to the TIM that Sony chose (liquid metal).

Following some basics (e.g., USB port configuration, base assembly), Ito shows us how easily the white panels on the PS5 are removed. This provides access to the main console, which features a robust cooling configuration comprising vented edges, dust catchers (users can simply vacuum debris out of these), and a large dual-intake fan. We also get to see the M.2 storage expansion slot.

Ito goes on to show off the PS5’s core hardware, such as the Ultra...

Continue reading...

I was jazzed to see the m.2 port seems fairly easy to access and add a NVME drive. XBX has external proprietary connector, who knows how much those expansion drives will cost.

The white panels seem to come off easy enough... maybe we will see "skins" or something for them. I hate to resort to spray paint but if I cannot stand the whiteness, I may consider it.

The first retail expansion for the XBSX is 1TB for ~$220 which is pretty much standard for PCIe 4.0 drives.

This might be the 1st console that actually seems like an engineer considered experienced home users modding it. I've taken plenty apart over the years and that is just beautiful seeing it on a table like that. Xbox might have better numbers but this makes me lean even more towards the PS5.

The first retail expansion for the XBSX is 1TB for ~$220 which is pretty much standard for PCIe 4.0 drives.
It's on the high side even for a TLC drive, actually, but I expected worse.
It comes down to what Sony puts on the approved list. 1TB NVME drives are $120+ but it depends on brand/spec that is approved/will function. No one knows yet.

[/URL]
That links to a PCI-E 3.0 QLC drive, so it is going to be on the low side of the price range.

Become a Patron!
Back