Q3: AMD Lost 5% of the GPU Market to NVIDIA despite RX 5700-Series Launch

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD's newest line of Radeon cards didn't put much of a dent in NVIDIA's business. Data from Jon Peddie Research is showing that green team actually increased its marketshare from 67.92% to 72.92% over the last quarter, owed largely in part to its RTX 20- and GTX 16-series of SUPER GPUs. AMD's market share, on the other hand, fell by 5% since Q2.

It’s not all bad news for AMD’s Radeon graphics division, however. The company managed to increase its market share somewhat since this time last year. It now makes up 27.08% of the market, up from its Q3, 2018 total of 25.72%. Volume sales for both Nvidia and AMD largely come from mainstream graphics cards such as the GTX 16-series and RX 500-series.

AMD has a long way to go to catch up - not just performance wise

5700 is basically only one tier -they need to get the rest of the series out

They're killing it in CPUs if only they could bring a ryzen moment to gpus. I'm in the market for a high end GPU upgrade from 1080ti and just can't justify paying double my 1080ti price for a 25% bump is performance. Just got a 3800x for my new gaming rig and would love something like a 5900xt.

They got a couple of issues now.
Nvidia got into providing more industry standards (unlike in the past, in wanting everything closed up, they are loosening up a little), and to use "Freesync" (whatever is actually called as an industry standard, I know Freesync is AMDs name).
They also basically upgraded customer level cards to be more creation friendly with their studio drivers. Nvidia also has a very strong middle end card with the 1660 super.
AMD can't keep hoping to compete with the 500 series, and while the RX5700 are a great showing they do need a halo product. They also need to compete with nvidia and their studio drivers and what seems to be a move by Nvidia in making their cards more useful for everyone.
AMD could still differentiate workstation cards by making them ssg style and some such, but they should consider expanding their support for customer GPUs in polishing other things gpus can do.
Also, I find it hard to believe they can't build like a kind of Super APU... HMB2 shared, Ryzen chiplets, Navi chiplets, IO die... That should be coming... I just can't see them being unable to do it... Everything needed is there.

Become a Patron!
Back