Radeon RX 6700 XT Slow in Productivity Workstation Performance?

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner-6.png

Introduction

On March 17th, 2020 AMD launched its Radeon RX 6700 XT video card with a suggested price tag of $479.  We have evaluated the video card in our full review looking at 1440p performance in eight games plus comparing AMD Smart Access Memory enabled versus disabled.  We compared it against the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti and GeForce RTX 3070.  In that review we found the video card (at its default) dances around the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti in performance, rather than the GeForce RTX 3070, even though it is priced closer to the RTX 3070. 

Therefore, we followed-up with that review with a full...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had thought that AMD's solutions for Professionals and Creators were always solid an competitive. Boy was I wrong! Thanks for the follow-through on another great review Brent!

nVidia's OPTIX is really a game-changer it seems with respects to performance. Those Blender times are nuts!

The Vulkan test was interesting - virtually unchanged from the 5700. Makes me wonder if it’s immature drivers causing some of this, as every other test shows at least some architectural improvements. That would be a heck of a driver bug - but hey, it’s AMD, drivers... yeah.

Or maybe they just heavily optimized gaming, after years of optimizing compute only to lose on gaming benchmarks... possible but doesn’t fit the pattern.

I guess for most people this shouldn't be an issue. But I'd still get the RTX3070 if only becuase I've been waiting for so long... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

nVidia's OPTIX is really a game-changer it seems with respects to performance. Those Blender times are nuts!
RTX cores at its best.

Glad you guys decided to look at workstation productivity shiznit, as I know you were thinking about doing such. Very interesting stuff. Great article! Hope to see more like it in the future. Yyeeaahh sadly the way things are, CUDA and OptiX and NVENC are unstoppable. nVidia is kinda the only real choice for these kinds of workloads. Radeons don't even win with the OpenCL stuff.

Yeah I agree - great write up and gives an entirely different perspective

The productivity stuff doesn't mean much to me, but the streaming capabilities and nvidia broadcast tip the scale IMO.

BTW some photoshop/vegas filter benchmarks would be welcomed.

The productivity stuff doesn't mean much to me, but the streaming capabilities and nvidia broadcast tip the scale IMO.
Same; I need to test RTX voice out on something that has RTX though. That's a big one for me given that it's pretty hard and pretty inconvenient to get to a place where the ambient noise is below the noise floor of the recording equipment!

As someone who has been using gpu computing in a professional field for a long time, there is a reason we only ever consider buying nvidia gpus.
And it's not like the CPU market where AMD can just pull an ace like with the CPU market against intel. In their absence, they allowed nvidia to become so entrenched in the professional gpu market that they stand no chance. Many software uses proprietary nvidia technology that makes AMD a non player even if it had the performance.

As someone who has been using gpu computing in a professional field for a long time, there is a reason we only ever consider buying nvidia gpus.
And it's not like the CPU market where AMD can just pull an ace like with the CPU market against intel. In their absence, they allowed nvidia to become so entrenched in the professional gpu market that they stand no chance. Many software uses proprietary nvidia technology that makes AMD a non player even if it had the performance.
I've said this dozens of times, not only do you get great performance hardware with nvidia, but better support and middleware that makes it a much better choice. Cry all you want for OpenCL, CUDA is the de facto standard in many content creation applications. OPTIX is also orders of magnitude faster than anything AMD has to offer and don't even get me started with AI and inferencing.

AMD has to invest in middleware if they want to compete on the high end, for years AMD was a compute monster but all that power got to waste in most professional applications.

AMD has done a great job closing the hardware gap this generation. This is especially true given how far behind NVIDIA they've been over the last few years. However, the software front is an entirely different story. On the gaming end, they still lack a competitive alternative to DLSS. On the professional side, the above post covers it pretty well so I'll leave it at that.

Become a Patron!
Back