Raja Koduri: Intel’s First Discrete GPU Will Cost $200

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
In an interview with Russian YouTube channel PRO Hi-Tech, Raja Koduri revealed that Intel's first volley against NVIDIA and AMD would be a mid-range GPU costing $200. The company intends to win enthusiasts over with affordability rather than performance.

That's similar to RTG's strategy, which makes a lot of sense, since Koduri used to lead that unit. He says that Intel should have a complete range of GPUs in two or three years time.

Koduri said that he wants to replicate AMD's strategy of capturing high-volume price-points, such as the $199 Radeon RX 480. The plan here is to bring an affordable, good performing GPU to the masses - "GPUs for everyone" as he calls them.

UPDATE: According to Intel, Koduri actually said something quite differently:

“Not everybody will buy a $500-$600 card, but there are enough people buying those too – so that’s a great market.

So the strategy we’re taking is we’re not really worried about the performance range, the cost range and all because eventually our architecture as I’ve publicly said, has to hit from mainstream, which starts even around $100, all the way to Data Center-class graphics with HBM memories and all, which will be expensive.

We have to hit everything; it’s just a matter of where do you start? The First one? The Second one? The Third one? And the strategy that we have within a period of roughly – let’s call it 2-3 years – to have the full stack." - Raja Koduri

So we could be looking at 2 years before their first gpu is ready? Or he didnt say

So we could be looking at 2 years before their first gpu is ready? Or he didnt say

Well, second.....hell this might just follow the path of the first (Larrabee) now that I think about it.

Well, second.....hell this might just follow the path of the first (Larrabee) now that I think about it.
well......come some time next year (late) i think you guys be reviewing an intel card in the mix. The 200 dollar cards might be fun to buy again!

well......come some time next year (late) i think you guys be reviewing an intel card in the mix. The 200 dollar cards might be fun to buy again!

I don't know if any of us actually have any contacts at Intel to get that ball rolling. Everyone I know has either left the company or been fired from it.

A full portfolio of graphics cards in 2-3 years huh? I guess we'll see. They better put up some decent competition for RTG and nVidia, but I'm not holding my breath. Intel's past with GPUs has been hella weak. We do need more players in the market though. So the first card out the gate will be a $200 card huh? Nothing wrong with starting in the mainstream segment. I just hope their top-end cards really bring it.

I don't know if any of us actually have any contacts at Intel to get that ball rolling. Everyone I know has either left the company or been fired from it.

Is it haram to suggest Kyle as a source for a card?

Kyle left Intel already. I have no idea what he's doing now.

Become a Patron!
Back