Raja M. Koduri Is Leaving Intel at the End of March for a “Software Startup”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Raja M. Koduri currently serves as the executive vice president and chief architect at Intel, where he's tasked with growing the company's efforts in graphics and accelerating high-priority technical programs, but it looks like he's finally grown tired of the job. According to a tweet from Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger, Koduri, who originally joined Intel in 2017 to develop what would eventually become the Arc series of discrete GPUs, is set to leave the company at the end of March for a software startup. Critics of Intel's Arc GPUs have made a habit of blaming Koduri for their supposed shortcomings, which are said to include performance issues with certain games, but Gelsinger's statements would suggest that Koduri's leave has nothing to do with his work performance.

See full article...

Hmm.

I think this was inevitable. Since Intel pulled the gaming and compute cards back into the same division, you could see Raja's exit in the cards. This could also be a precursor to Intel pulling the gaming cards entirely out of their discrete card stack, since they are in a major cost-cutting move.

Surprising thing - Intel cards are actually doing better than I thought they would be: mostly because nVidia and AMD have been happy to leave the Sub-$300 market all to Intel, which is a ~huge~ market. I think if either of the Big 2 decided they wanted to stop dorking around with the high margin top end cards and get back to volume production, Intel might be in trouble... but so far they haven't seemed to show any interest in it.

Yeah, the writing was on the wall for him to leave. I'd hoped he'd be able to stick it out to see the DGPUs get a stronger foothold but I guess it wasn't meant to happen. I remember reading something a while back on his social media page where he posted how back injuries and pain had really begun to slow him down in the last couple of years. I don't remember much else about that except that it was affecting him greatly with all the travel he had to do with the job.

I could see Intel pulling an IBM and splitting off the discreet cards division into it's own entity to sink or swim.
It wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. If they at least provide support to the division for marketing, distributorship, and a manufacturing pipeline that could be enough to keep them on their feet short term.

I forgot to mention yesterday, only remembered after getting home last night, that in those same social media posts he had stated part ownership in a startup in India (I think). I'm wondering if this will somehow tie into that. He could be working on creating a larger enterprise with multiple ventures.

Become a Patron!
Back