Real time ray tracing slideshow.

MadMummy76

FPS Junkie
So after being a 2080ti owner for 10 months, I finally got around to playing my first game that has Ray Tracing in it: Control.

I knew everyone was talking about RTX not being viable in 4K, but I didn't believe them, I thought the performance issues were over exaggerated.
Well it's actually worse than what I'd expect even when taking them at face value. Despite not playing at full 4K, just 3840x1600, which is 25% less resolution.

Cranked up the graphics to max with RTX: I haven't had this bad performance since I was a broke high school kid playing Crysis on used mid-tier hardware.
The difference is that now this is the high end of the spectrum, which makes it even more ridiculous.

In small corridors and rooms, I get 30fps. Which drops all the way down to 24-25, in larger open areas. It's not very playable. I could struggle with it to the end, but it's not a great experience that's for sure.

So I enabled DLSS at the first step down resolution: 2560x1067. Which is a huge jump actually less than half the pixels. I'd prefer a setting or two in-between. With this I get 45-50fps. Which is about what you'd expect considering the render resolution is 45% of original, take a few fps for the impact of the upscale AI and we're right there.

It looks allright for the most part with DLSS, it is certainly playable, but I get some instances where for a few moments some parts look absolutely awful.
But this might be caused by texture pop in of the game and not DLSS, although I didn't notice it playing without DLSS.

Yar, definitely feels like NVidia jumped the gun a bit on the feature. I'm predicting the 3000 series will bring big gains for raytracing.

I'm interested to see how AMD will be doing theirs, I'm assuming it's going to be very similar to how the upcoming consoles will generate their raytracing.

Yar, definitely feels like NVidia jumped the gun a bit on the feature. I'm predicting the 3000 series will bring big gains for raytracing.
Well even if the rumored 30% gains in performance are true, you won't get playable frame rates at 4K. 3090 needs to be 100% faster than 2080ti for this to be viable without upscaling.

So I overclocked my GPU, didn't do that in years, actually come to think of it, more than 5 years. But thanks to the aftermarket cooler I have plenty of thermal headroom. Now the game is solidly in the 55-60fps realm. With DLSS of course.

DLSS made it very very playable. Yeah I would agree that without DLSS control at 4K with RTX is a slideshow.

Become a Patron!
Back