Red Dead Redemption 2 Wins Steam’s 2020 Game of the Year

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
red-dead-redemption-2-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Rockstar Games

What’s the best video game of 2020? If you were to ask Steam players, it’d probably be Rockstar Games’ Red Dead Redemption 2. The beautiful, open-world cowboy epic managed to defeat heavy hitters such as id Software’s DOOM Eternal and Kojima Productions’ Death Stranding in Valve’s annual game awards contest, which is determined entirely by the votes of the Steam community.

Red Dead Redemption 2 also managed to score a big win in the Outstanding Story-Rich Game category, besting Detroit: Become Human, Mafia: Definitive Edition, Metro Exodus, and Horizon Zero Dawn...

Continue reading...

Must have been a bad year for games given the age of some of these winners.

Also the fact that a lot of the bigger players don't use steam anymore will have it's effect.

Also the fact that a lot of the bigger players don't use steam anymore will have it's effect.
The only "big" player not on Steam anymore is Ubisoft.

Well the biggest game release of the year kinda dudded out the gate. I think CP2077 kinda sucked out the oxygen for a lot of other titles - no one wanted to have to compete. Par for 2020 I suppose.

I think if the console releases had been Spring rather than late Fall, we would have seen a lot more big AAA releases in 2020. Although - I can only think of a small handful of big titles slated so far for 2021 release, so I dunno...

Euhm, Blizzard, Activision, Epic are pretty big if you ask me
Fortnite is the only game Epic has and continues to develop.

Call of Duty is the only franchise that Activision does not sell on Steam. Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are both available on multiple platforms. Do not know whether or not THPS 1+2 Remastered will see a Steam release or not, yet. Amazing that these are the only IP that Activision have outside of Blizzard these days.

Blizzard has never sold a game on a third-party digital distribution platform on PC.

Fortnite is the only game Epic has and continues to develop.

Call of Duty is the only franchise that Activision does not sell on Steam. Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are both available on multiple platforms. Do not know whether or not THPS 1+2 Remastered will see a Steam release or not, yet. Amazing that these are the only IP that Activision have outside of Blizzard these days.

Blizzard has never sold a game on a third-party digital distribution platform on PC.

This. Ubisoft is really the only company that has more than one large franchise that's not on Steam that I can think of.

I forgot what site I was on the other day, I'll try and look it up when I get home tonight, but there was one that posted Steam's top ten games but then also their top ten games as rated by reviews. The lists were totally unrecognizable in regards to each other.

Call of Duty is the only franchise that Activision does not sell on Steam.

They did lose destiny 2 recently and EA also only just returned to steam, then there was the epic exclusivity thing that delayed some games from steam.

Also not sure you could even nominate CP2077 as it was not released yet at the time of the nominations.

Also I stand by my point that a lot of the games on that list are not realy 2020 games (if you look at the original release not the late port)

I wasn't impressed with RDR2, but I find that I don't normally follow the "hip" trends anymore when it comes to gaming.
I'm impressed with some of the visuals but really needing to get back and properly dig into it. When I got it at release I really had to tweak things to get anything near 60 FPS with my 2080 Ti. The 3090 seems good enough to give a good experience but I'm having a lot of fun playing other things right now.

I guess I'm an outlier, had no interest in it and never played it.

They did lose destiny 2 recently and EA also only just returned to steam, then there was the epic exclusivity thing that delayed some games from steam.

Also not sure you could even nominate CP2077 as it was not released yet at the time of the nominations.

Also I stand by my point that a lot of the games on that list are not realy 2020 games (if you look at the original release not the late port)
Destiny 2 is not an Activision IP anymore, which is why it's gone.

I originally played a chunk of RDR2 on Xbox One X - game looked beautiful and the world 'felt alive', but the gameplay felt 'chunky'.

Recently got it for PC (on a RTX 3090) and it feels like a whole new game on PC. The improved framerate and visuals are nice, but what really makes the game playable are the KB+M controls paired with first person camera. The gameplay no longer feels chunky as it did on a gamepad, and I can easily transition from riding horse, swapping out guns, inventory management, etc. Add mouse look while you're exploring the world - and the game feels and plays excellent.

Become a Patron!
Back