Relicta and Company of Heroes 2 Are Currently Free for PC Gamers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
relicta-key-visual-1024x576.jpg
Image: Mighty Polygon

PC gamers can grow their backlogs today with free copies of Relicta and Company of Heroes 2.

Relicta, a first-person physics-based puzzle game by developer Mighty Polygon, is available for free through the Epic Games Store until Thursday, January 27, at 11:00 a.m. (EST), while Company of Heroes 2 is available through Games2Gether, a video game co-creation platform. A free key for Relic Entertainment’s RTS can be claimed by logging into Games2Gether and visiting its rewards page, which is accessible here.

Relicta

Play as a top physicist stranded on an eerie, derelict Moon base. Find your way around the enigmatic, terraformed craters by bending gravity and magnetism to your will in order to solve physical puzzles. Will you rush straight ahead and try to reach safety – or will you take...

Continue reading...

I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but here goes.

I'm not really into either of these titles, but I'd rather pay for them elsewhere (GoG? Steam?) than ever install the EGS client.

I'm not really into either of these titles, but I'd rather pay for them elsewhere (GoG? Steam?) than ever install the EGS client.
Is this because of something Epic's done? I've got Steam, EA, Epic, and Ubi all installed and just run one of them at a time depending on what I'm playing. I haven't really had any issues between them. Maybe about 8 or 9 months ago, Epic did throw some flags about updating or installing a game, but it was easily remedied just by right click, run as admin. Aside from that, haven't seen any problems. Just curious.

Is this because of something Epic's done? I've got Steam, EA, Epic, and Ubi all installed and just run one of them at a time depending on what I'm playing. I haven't really had any issues between them. Maybe about 8 or 9 months ago, Epic did throw some flags about updating or installing a game, but it was easily remedied just by right click, run as admin. Aside from that, haven't seen any problems. Just curious.

It's entirely a principle thing.

I don't reward companies with my hard earned cash when they do things I consider bad behavior.

In this case, using exclusives and other manipulative tactics to try to get people to install and use their games store.

Whenever anyone tries to twist my arm into doing just about anything I'll dig my heels in and do the absolute opposite.

When Ubisoft started pulling this bullshit, I gave them the finger. I bought Far Cry 3 on Steam, and it tried to force me to install UPlay and make me create an account to play my offline single player game. I said no ****ing way, requested a refund from Steam, and pirated it instead. I'm not doing that ****. I have two copies of free codes to get Far Cry 6, but I'm not using them, because it requires me to use Ubisoft Connect (I'm guessing this is a replacement for Uplay?).

I'll be happy to buy their games if they reverse this decision and don't make me use their launcher/store. I'll even buy the ones I've already pirated. Fair is fair. But if anyone tries to use manipulative tactics on me, I'll go out of my way to hit them in their wallet as much as I can. That may not be very much, but it is my little contribution.

Epic games is anti-consumer choice, and it hurts to see so many just give in and accept it, and play right into their hands anyway, just for some free games, or to get a game exclusive a year before it is released elsewhere.

I'm amazed at how cheaply many out in the market are selling themselves on this one. Just dangle an old free $5 game in-front of them, or gasp, threaten them with a one year delay to get a game, and they ****ing fold like some sort of goddamn crack addicts in the need of a hit. It's really sad.

Any business will only pursue anti-consumer behavior if we let them, and thus far gaming consumers have been taking it up the ***, and saying "Thank you Sir, may I please have another" and "shut up and take my money".

The consumers in any industry get what they deserve, I guess.

I'm happy to grab a freebie from EGS. I feel no need to defend valve's honor from competition.

It's entirely a principle thing.

I don't reward companies with my hard earned cash when they do things I consider bad behavior.

In this case, using exclusives and other manipulative tactics to try to get people to install and use their games store.

Whenever anyone tries to twist my arm into doing just about anything I'll dig my heels in and do the absolute opposite.

When Ubisoft started pulling this bullshit, I gave them the finger. I bought Far Cry 3 on Steam, and it tried to force me to install UPlay and make me create an account to play my offline single player game. I said no ****ing way, requested a refund from Steam, and pirated it instead. I'm not doing that ****. I have two copies of free codes to get Far Cry 6, but I'm not using them, because it requires me to use Ubisoft Connect (I'm guessing this is a replacement for Uplay?).

I'll be happy to buy their games if they reverse this decision and don't make me use their launcher/store. I'll even buy the ones I've already pirated. Fair is fair. But if anyone tries to use manipulative tactics on me, I'll go out of my way to hit them in their wallet as much as I can. That may not be very much, but it is my little contribution.

Epic games is anti-consumer choice, and it hurts to see so many just give in and accept it, and play right into their hands anyway, just for some free games, or to get a game exclusive a year before it is released elsewhere.

I'm amazed at how cheaply many out in the market are selling themselves on this one. Just dangle an old free $5 game in-front of them, or gasp, threaten them with a one year delay to get a game, and they ****ing fold like some sort of goddamn crack addicts in the need of a hit. It's really sad.

Any business will only pursue anti-consumer behavior if we let them, and thus far gaming consumers have been taking it up the ***, and saying "Thank you Sir, may I please have another" and "shut up and take my money".

The consumers in any industry get what they deserve, I guess.
By your own logic you should not be using steam either.

By your own logic you should not be using steam either.
That is a fair comment.

Steam isn't perfect either, and they have had several exclusives over the years, but to be fair most of those were in a period of no one else really trying to be an alternate digital distribution store. It felt less like an intentional tactic to lock others out, and more like a "we went to steam because they are pretty much the only game in town" type of arrangement.

I already have a library there though, and I can't undo that.

The only real good guys in games retail these days are CDPR in their GoG storefront, but sadly they lack content.

I would love to see an open market when it comes to digital distribution, where similar to brick and mortars prior to the existence of Steam, you could walk into the retail store of your choosing and buy a game, and the game was independent of the store, didn't require a client on your machine, etc. They were just a retailer, and you could pretty much get any game from any retailer who wanted to carry it.

I would support regulation to end all exclusive content. To end the requirement that you have an online account to play a offline game. Every game has to be able to be sold by any established retailer that wants to sell it, without exclusives or special deals. All retailers get it at the same cost, and decide themselves at what price they want to sell it. (there would need to be some rules to prevent manipulation of internal transfer pricing for companies owning the retailer that sells their own games too, so they don't abuse that to lock others out).

Even better, make games transferable. What if I don't feel like having my library stashed with Valve anymore. I should be able to port it out to someone else. Require that all games are modular and transferable between libraries. And whats more, require that they be resellable.

The way things are right now is not sustainable. Consumers are being abused, and its time someone put an end to it.

Even better, make games transferable. What if I don't feel like having my library stashed with Valve anymore. I should be able to port it out to someone else. Require that all games are modular and transferable between libraries. And whats more, require that they be resellable.
This I could entirely get behind. If we can make a **** .GIF into a "NFT" and sell it, why can't we do that with game licenses.

This would be FANTASTIC! Thanks for the explanation. For myself, I've really only received the freebies. I bought a BL3 code from a friend when he bought his AMD card and had to use it with Epic, but I never bought it from them. On the other hand, I feel as if this is the market the way it's structured so each marketplace has to compete for my bucks. Steam has more of my bucks than anyone. I think I gave EA some bucks with Battlefield 3, 4 and some battlefront titles. Nope, I don't 'own' the title. Yep I have to use their launcher. And I fondly remember recoiling having to install Steam to play HL2 way back when. In one way, you can thank Steam for where we are today. :(

I've honestly gotten over the whole launcher thing. When you have to give your data to steam to buy a game thst requires uplay, or origin, or Rockstars launcher.. now I just wait for a deal thst works for me.

Become a Patron!
Back