Replacement DSL modem suggestions

Brian_B

FPS Enthusiast
So at home I am stuck with DSL. Supposedly I have 15Mb down, 1.5 up, but I’ve never seen half of that. I know next to nothing about DSL

That being said, living rural, it is what it is.

I run all Ubnt in the house, the modem is just set up as a bridge and the Edgerouter logs into PPPOE via a VisonNet M625N modem/router.

I don’t like the idea of not having full access to the VisionNet. I don’t like the fact that for some reason my telecom can’t figure out how to turn off the built-in WIFi and just took the antenna off. I suspect it may not be configured correctly and that’s what is cutting my speeds I’m surprising ok leasing it - work pays for my internet.

Any good options to replace this leased VisionNet? I plan on keeping the

Generally speaking, even if you own the modem, the Telco will still have control over it. DSL is very much distance based - depending on how far you are from the dslam will dictate your speeds. Telcos areb very willing to sell your speeds that can't physically happen, though the support folks can confirm that for you....

My bro-in-law lives in the sticks and best he can get is "3mb" DSL which is more like 768k most of the time. But sometimes it just slows down until it grinds to a halt and he has to reboot the modem. A lot. So he ended up getting some wifi smart plugs (I think they use the Kasa app) and put those on his network gear. So whenever it starts to grind, instead of trudging down into the basement, he reboots the stuff over wifi.

Sorry I don't know if that helps you but it helps him a lot. DSL is pretty picky and temperamental and rebooting frequently is probably your friend.

Just a short update - I did get my phone company to give me admin access to the modem. That was nice. There wasn't much there, other than some firewall/port forwarding stuff that I was having issues working around, and did actually turn off the built-in WiFi.

Turns out I have a dual bonded DSL line, and the surge suppressor I was using blocked one of the lines, so I was only getting half my rated bandwidth.

The reboot suggestion was a good one - seems like our IP lease (or whatever the DSL equivalent) seems to go up most mornings around 7am, and speeds are sluggish for an hour or so, unless you reboot it.

Been a long while since I fooled around with DSL to make a modem recommendation, but I can say that when I had DSL I improved my speeds immensely by installing a "homerun" directly from the box on the side of the house to my modem using cat5. (Don't need to use all the pairs, and cat5 probably was a waste of money as regular phone line would have probably worked)

Improved my downloads and upload as well as stability by a large margin.

Become a Patron!
Back