Report: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Ready for Mass Production with New ETH Mining Limiter

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

The long-fabled Titanium revision of NVIDIA’s flagship Ampere graphics card, the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, should be unveiled to the public relatively soon. This is according to a new report from Igor Wallossek, whose contacts have revealed that the heavily anticipated GPU is just about ready to enter mass production. Wallossek also confirmed previous speculation that NVIDIA has implemented a stricter and more effective version of the GeForce RTX 3060’s ETH (Ether) cryptomining limiter in the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti via an updated GA102 GPU labeled GA102-202 or GA102-302. It was just a few days ago that habitual hardware leaker kopite7kimi hinted that anti-mining measures would be added to the rest of the GeForce RTX 30 Series lineup.

I've said before, maybe not GA106 only.For example, we would meet GA102-302/202 and GA104-302/202...

Continue reading...

Here's whats going to happen. Miners and scalpers will snap these up like every other card. If miners can't make mining work they will simply scalp the cards for profit. The regular consumers will be left out in the cold.

Last edited:
So what's to stop miners from mining other coins with this video card?

So if even if Nvidia puts the limiters into the BIOS, miners can just flash to another BIOS anyway right? The driver implementation was defeated in like 9 seconds after released.

The mining limiter is all good and well, but it took the mining community - what - a week to crack the last one? I don't have much faith that this will work out.

The mining limiter is all good and well, but it took the mining community - what - a week to crack the last one? I don't have much faith that this will work out.
As long as Nvidia learns and adjusts from each way the limiter is broken, it will get harder and harder to break.

As long as Nvidia learns and adjusts from each way the limiter is broken, it will get harder and harder to break.
You are assuming nVidia actually wants to make it better.

I'm sure they would love to sell the CMP cards at a higher margin, but I don't think nVidia really wants to kill the golden goose. They just want to show an appropriate amount of respect to their most stable market segment.

I'm sure they would love to sell the CMP cards at a higher margin, but I don't think nVidia really wants to kill the golden goose. They just want to show an appropriate amount of respect to their most stable market segment.

Yep. They want the PR win, but they still want to sell as many GPU's as they can for as high a price as they can, and blocking mining is counter to that.

Expect them to do as little as possible about it, while taking enormous credit for it through PR/Marketing.

Sure, we are combating miners buying up all the supply:

1618942467922.png

I imagine they would love to force every miner purchase to a CMP card if they could. Who wouldn’t want 3x the money for the same product?

Become a Patron!
Back