Report: Xbox Series X ($499) and Xbox Series S ($299) Launching on November 10

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-x-s-video-comparison-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Windows Central has confirmed the prices and launch date for Microsoft’s next-gen consoles. The Xbox Series X will cost $499, while its weaker sibling, the Xbox Series S, will cost $299. Both consoles will be available for purchase on November 10, 2020.

“We can confirm via our sources that the entry-level Xbox Series S will cost $299 at retail, with a $25 per month Xbox All Access financing option, which Microsoft is planning to push hard via various retailers and a large global rollout,” Windows Central reported. “The more powerful Xbox Series X will cost $499, with a $35 per month Xbox All Access financing option.”

Thurrott’s Brad Sams has also leaked the...

Continue reading...

I saw pics of that Xbox Series S floating around. It looks like a ****ing speaker. One of my friends said the "S" stands for "subwoofer" hahahaha.

Don't think i would pay 300 for what looks like an underpowered dud.
At 500 this gen console won't have too much problems, i used to think otherwise, but I realized its just me not keeping with inflation or now, hyperinflation . Now the winner is... Games at 59 or 69? Sony and MS will line up on that too?.

Yeah the S edition... I can see what they are trying to do, but yeah... why put out something less than the XB1X and call it next gen? Is MS going to put warning stickers “Caution, do not upgrade from a 1X, this is actually slower, but we aren’t going to let you run the new stuff in your old 1X because SSD”

If all these price rumors are true (Ps5 at $599 / $499).... I think Sony looks strong, Sony’s cheaper offering is the same hardware as the faster, just lacking the drive - so it’s all still ”next-gen”, and all are significant upgrades from current hardware. The S just seems like the poor kids version to try to move boxes, and I can envision the marketing campaign against it I think it just too easy to sink it...

Yeah the S edition... I can see what they are trying to do, but yeah... why put out something less than the XB1X and call it next gen? Is MS going to put warning stickers “Caution, do not upgrade from a 1X, this is actually slower, but we aren’t going to let you run the new stuff in your old 1X because SSD”

If all these price rumors are true (Ps5 at $599 / $499).... I think Sony looks strong, Sony’s cheaper offering is the same hardware as the faster, just lacking the drive - so it’s all still ”next-gen”, and all are significant upgrades from current hardware. The S just seems like the poor kids version to try to move boxes, and I can envision the marketing campaign against it I think it just too easy to sink it...
Specs on the Series S have not yet been confirmed. The number thrown out by Windows Central is just a guess.

I'm sure there's a market for the S for people with less money and casual gamers. The cpu and storage speed upgrades will make it a good experience vs last gen and if you have a 1080p TV or you're sitting on the couch it'll probably be fine.

I think the bigger issue is that Sony has better exclusives (at least my kids think so). So they want a PS5.

I think the bigger issue is that Sony has better exclusives (at least my kids think so). So they want a PS5.

Yar, no doubt about it that's MS biggest obstacle right now. Hopefully MS will be able to start showing off some of their exclusives soon. MS did go on a studio acquisition kick to bolster their first party lineup, but who knows how far away those studios are from releasing.

Yar, no doubt about it that's MS biggest obstacle right now. Hopefully MS will be able to start showing off some of their exclusives soon. MS did go on a studio acquisition kick to bolster their first party lineup, but who knows how far away those studios are from releasing.
So far I have not seen any interesting new IP shown from those acquisitions. Seems that those that would be are not far enough along development to show us anything yet. In other words, I have no faith that Microsoft is going to somehow magically solve their exclusive problem after throwing so much money at it. Sony has curated and developed an unbeatable lineup of passionate developers over the past decade and a half starting with the PS3. I don't think Microsoft has the patience or dedication to do that after killing everything good they had going with the Xbox 360 generation.

So far I have not seen any interesting new IP shown from those acquisitions. Seems that those that would be are not far enough along development to show us anything yet. In other words, I have no faith that Microsoft is going to somehow magically solve their exclusive problem after throwing so much money at it. Sony has curated and developed an unbeatable lineup of passionate developers over the past decade and a half starting with the PS3. I don't think Microsoft has the patience or dedication to do that after killing everything good they had going with the Xbox 360 generation.

Yar, agree with this too. Everything's been CGI trailers or appeared very early/rushed and it felt 'late' when MS started investing in their studios. I'm also worried about these studios, as Rare seems like a shadow of its former self under MS ownership.

I think what will really carry MS in the early stage of the XSX|S will be Game Pass and aggressive pricing. Their financing plan (All Access, iirc) is a smart idea, especially if they bundle that with Game Pass. Get a console and a steady supply of games is great value, but also locks consumers into their ecosystem.

Sony really handled their properties well, I'd put their first party games' quality right up there with Nintendo. What I like about Sony, is that they're very aggressive with their pricing on older titles. Unlike Nintendo, who rarely offers a substantial discount on their first party software, Sony's not afraid to bring their pricing down to old school Steam discounts.

That's also why I like to pick up a Playstation at its midlife refresh - excellent exclusive software at excellent pricing.

The ' S' is an unfortunate choice of letter for the model... it certainly doesn't stand for 'Super'. More like

The ' S' is an unfortunate choice of letter for the model... it certainly doesn't stand for 'Super'. More like

...as opposed the current "SAD" edition name? That one is bonkers.

Maybe the next one can be the "Model S, Ultimate eXperience edition... or SUX"

Become a Patron!
Back