Richard Donner Returning to Direct Lethal Weapon 5

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lethal-weapon-riggs-murtaugh-guns-drawn-photo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Warner Bros.

Despite being 90 years old, Richard Donner is about to prove to Hollywood that he isn’t—as Robert Murtaugh would like to say—”too old for this sh*t.” During a recent interview with The Telegraph, the legendary Superman director confirmed that he would be returning to helm a ffith installment of Mel Gibson and Danny Glover’s classic buddy-cop franchise, Lethal Weapon.

“This is the final one,” Donner said. “It’s both my privilege and duty to put it to bed. It’s exciting, actually […] Hahaha! It’s the last one, I’ll promise you that.”

Written by Predator star Shane Black, the original Lethal Weapon was released in 1984 to critically acclaimed reviews and made $120 million in the box office on a $15 million budget. All of the...

Continue reading...

they'll both get shot multiple times and drive off a cliff in Rigg's repaired dually truck into a shark infested ocean as they bleed out ... they'll get a mask covered eulogy montage to commemorate 45'ish years of their 'bro-mance' .. there will be a small obituary blurb that will state cause of death as being COVID-19 related because in an earlier scene we'll see both Danny and Mel sneeze..

Look, I loved Lethal Weapon 1 + 2 back when I was a teen. But now? Just stop. How old is Murtaugh supposed to be by now, 90?

And good ol' angry Mel has only in recent years started appearing in movies again after his forced Hollywood hiatus. Of course he's on board. I used to really like some of his movies (LW1+2, Payback, Road Warrior, etc come to mind) but I can't watch them anymore.

Last edited:
Oh God no, just no. 1 and 2 were superb.... 3 was very good. 4 was awful despite Jet Li being great. Roger was 50 in LW1 and that was 34 years ago!! There's no way they can make this good.

Don't crap all over the legacy of a great bunch of movies like this.

Its a negative feedback loop, Hollywood makes remakes that make money, so they look to make more remakes that might make money... or superhero movies.
Its the making money part thats the problem.

Kindergarden plots with lots of moving colors making a billion plus dollars, who can blame them.

If there is place where ' the market ' determines things this is mostly one of them.. Big budget games being the other.

High minded, more complex, artistic movies is where bankruptcy lies.

I did NOT know someone was making a Lethal Weapon 5.

I guess this one doesn't count huh?

I guess that means the Lethal Weapon 6 that came out wasn't canon?

I heard a "Trip to the Moon 2" is on the works, with moon superheroes.

No. Just stop it. We don't need sequels to franchises that haven't been in theaters for DECADES.
Of course we do. We need to fix all these franchises and make them Millenial Compliant, getting rid of unnecesary violence, macho abuse and making them more sensitive and inclusive. While you are at it lets gender/race/religion swap the protagonists. Make Murtaugh an asian/latin islamic lesbian and Riggs a midget black/irish transgender scientologist.

Of course we do. We need to fix all these franchises and make them Millenial Compliant, getting rid of unnecesary violence, macho abuse and making them more sensitive and inclusive. While you are at it lets gender/race/religion swap the protagonists. Make Murtaugh an asian/latin islamic lesbian and Riggs a midget black/irish transgender scientologist.

Ok you know that actually sounds good. Go on tell me your other ideas. That back midget transgender scientologist I really gotta see.

Look, I loved Lethal Weapon 1 + 2 back when I was a teen. But now? Just stop. How old is Murtaugh supposed to be by now, 90?

And good ol' angry Mel has only in recent years started appearing in movies again after his forced Hollywood hiatus. Of course he's on board. I used to really like some of his movies (LW1+2, Payback, Road Warrior, etc come to mind) but I can't watch them anymore.
He was supposed to be 50 in the first movie, which came out in 1987. Would make him 83-84 now. Danny Glover himself will be 75 in July.

Become a Patron!
Back