Ridley Scott to Direct Paul Mescal as Adult Lucius in Gladiator Sequel for Paramount Pictures

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Gladiator 2 is really happening, according to an exclusive report from Deadline that can confirm Paul Mescal is in negotiations to star in the sequel for Paramount as Lucius Verus, son of Connie Nielsen's Lucilla, now grown up following the events of the original 2000 blockbuster from Ridley Scott that ended with Roman-general-turned-gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridius (Russel Crowe) and Lucius' false-emperor uncle, Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix), fighting to the death in a tense gladiator match.

See full article...

Ugh, why on earth...why???? Some movies, like this one, are really better off without having a sequel. See Donnie Darko -> S. Darko. S. Darko pretty much ruined Donnie Darko.

Is Hollywood really this creatively bankrupt that they need to make sequels that no one asked for, to movies that don't need them?

There's no reason to make a sequel. The original movie was good and the story started and ended with that movie so there's no more to be told. If Maximus had lived it might have been a different story but even if he had lived there wasn't going to be an entertaining story to tell. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll cancel this sequel before they put anymore into it.

Ugh, why on earth...why???? Some movies, like this one, are really better off without having a sequel. See Donnie Darko -> S. Darko. S. Darko pretty much ruined Donnie Darko.

Is Hollywood really this creatively bankrupt that they need to make sequels that no one asked for, to movies that don't need them?
I had no f*cking idea there was a sequel to Donnie Darko! Who thought that movie needed a sequel?!

There's no reason to make a sequel. The original movie was good and the story started and ended with that movie so there's no more to be told. If Maximus had lived it might have been a different story but even if he had lived there wasn't going to be an entertaining story to tell. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll cancel this sequel before they put anymore into it.
Maybe he gets revived as a cyborg, and now has to compete in gladiator games in the far future.

Count me as another one didn't know Donnie Darko had a sequel. I forgot that movie ( D Darko), but still remember it affected me a good amount emotionally. Also agree Gladiator doesn't need a sequel. Honestly what Hollywood needs is a sequel to using the same drugs they used in the 80s because whatevet they are doing now has them so lame and repetitive. I suppose the drug is too much money, risk adverse too much money.

The wheels on the hollywood money bus go round and round.

SIGH. Another worthless cash grab.

Become a Patron!
Back