RIP cheap Chinese X79 board, you were barely used

MadMummy76

FPS Junkie
A few years ago when I upgraded from X79 to X99, I got stuck with my CPU, nobody would buy it, so I ordered a cheap chinese board for it to play around with.
I even managed to get some overclocking unlocked on it, but this thing barely held together at stock clocks.

Anyway a few days ago I tried to turn it on, and it just wouldn't work. Can't get it to post at all. It was always finicky it took a few tries of power cycling to get it running after long periods of disuse, but now it seems finally done. After switching the power on and off and 4 sec switching it for half an hour, I declare it officially dead.

Why am I posting this? Why not?

Hell no, I can't imagine anything more boring and tedious than reviewing MBs.
I stick to reviewing cases occasionally when I have the opportunity.

Hell no, I can't imagine anything more boring and tedious than reviewing MBs.
I stick to reviewing cases occasionally when I have the opportunity.
It's really not bad until you get to making the graphs. :)

That being said, I am not surprised by the cheap Chinese X79 motherboard ****ting the bed.

Is it safe to assume you checked to see if the CMOS battery was dead?
That actually was the issue last time, so I replaced it a few months ago, I didn't think it would be that again. Unless this drains batteries ultra fast. Maybe it's worth a try before I chuck it out.

Haha, I've managed to get it running again, but it's freezing and bluescreening even after severely underclocking both CPU and RAM.

It's dead, Jim.

Just a word of warning, it might have killed my CPU too, because it is unstable even at stock in another board as well. I mean the CPU is definitely toast, but I'm not sure if it died to natural causes or had help.

Too bad, it was a golden sample 3820 non-K (the last non-K CPU to be overclockable) and overclock it did. I used it for a while in an ASROCK board at 4625 all core, on air cooling, I'm sure if I had water cooling at the time 4750 would've been possible. Now it crashes Cinebench even at the 3.6 stock clock.

Become a Patron!
Back