RX6000 preview

Sorry to say it, but I think you're right. ATi, even after being acquired by AMD, tended to innovate more on the software side which made their products compelling (in addition to better color compression for a good while). These days AMD seem to just be following NVIDIA in a "me, too" fashion and not doing much better in implementation.
what do you mean by better color compression? nvidia has been implementing different forms of compression including color compression since the gtx 9000 series. afaik amd implemented color compression with navi.

what do you mean by better color compression? nvidia has been implementing different forms of compression including color compression since the gtx 9000 series. afaik amd implemented color compression with navi.
Color Compression has been around for a good while, on both sides. One specific implementation: Delta Color Compression, has been around since GCN 1.2 (Fiji/Tonga)

Here's an older supporting document.

Color Compression has been around for a good while, on both sides. One specific implementation: Delta Color Compression, has been around since GCN 1.2 (Fiji/Tonga)

Here's an older supporting document.

I stand corrected, but what makes it better than the nvidia solution?

I stand corrected, but what makes it better than the nvidia solution?
Well, the method at which they were doing lossless compression made it better at the time. They had a higher average compression ratio which meant less bandwidth was required to get the exact same (it's lossless, so results are 100% identical) results. Fast forward a few years.... nvidia now does a better job at compression than AMD and tends to need less bandwidth for a given performance. It's hard to directly measure though. The closest you can get is loading the same application and check memory usage, but even then things like memory management and other driver overhead makes a 1:1 comparison difficult. Add to that architectural differences which make a 1:1 benchmark all but useless (aka, you can't run both memory & GPU at the same speeds from Navi to Turing and expect to be only measuring difference in bandwidth saved by color compression, you're measuring many other things like decoders, branch predictors, cache systems, etc). Back in the day is was a much bigger deal, nowadays, they are all using compression to some extent, but I'm not sure if we know the actual compression ratio's anymore (there used to be tools to actually compress to format required by the GPU so you could see what the original and compressed sizes where for specific images, but I haven't been into graphics programming for a while and don't know (I doubt) if that's still a big thing people would do by hand).

If it sucks at RT, that will be a problem.

Faster at Raster needs to be a lot faster to make up for that, at a much lower price.
And it will still have a "lesser" gpu vibe.

Gamer 1: "Hey guys, I got a RTX3080!"
Peers: "NICE MAN!"

Gamer 2: "Hey guys, I got a RX6800!!"
Peers: "That's nice, are you poor?"

If it sucks at RT, that will be a problem.

Faster at Raster needs to be a lot faster to make up for that, at a much lower price.
And it will still have a "lesser" gpu vibe.

Gamer 1: "Hey guys, I got a RTX3080!"
Peers: "NICE MAN!"

Gamer 2: "Hey guys, I got a RX6800!!"
Peers: "That's nice, are you poor?"

Meh, faster raster works in more games than better RT... so you can claim you bought a more expensive GPU that runs faster in 7 games... vs someone that bought a cheaper GPU that runs faster in 150+ games... congratulations? I dunno, RT is cool and all but it's not a make or break for most people. If the 6800XT can trade blows with a 3090 and beat it in lots of games, I don't think anyone would questions someone spending $700 on a 6800XT instead of a $1400+ on a 3090 just so they can have a few extra frames of RT in the few games that support it. Also, who cares what someone buys? You seem very judgemental of other peoples decisions. I really couldn't care less if you buy a 3080 because you like the newest tech features if that's important, don't know why you would call someone poor that doesn't care about those features and bought something that they could afford and meets their needs. Heck, I don't even want to hear what you call people who will buy a *gasp* 3070!

Meh, faster raster works in more games than better RT... so you can claim you bought a more expensive GPU that runs faster in 7 games... vs someone that bought a cheaper GPU that runs faster in 150+ games... congratulations? I dunno, RT is cool and all but it's not a make or break for most people. If the 6800XT can trade blows with a 3090 and beat it in lots of games, I don't think anyone would questions someone spending $700 on a 6800XT instead of a $1400+ on a 3090 just so they can have a few extra frames of RT in the few games that support it. Also, who cares what someone buys? You seem very judgemental of other peoples decisions. I really couldn't care less if you buy a 3080 because you like the newest tech features if that's important, don't know why you would call someone poor that doesn't care about those features and bought something that they could afford and meets their needs. Heck, I don't even want to hear what you call people who will buy a *gasp* 3070!

I'm merely stating the perception the market has, and why RT matters.
It's not about what you or I care about.

AMD/Radeon has an uphill battle here. if they are to succeed they need to be better on all fronts, and cheaper too.

Personally I have no interest in what others use, besides sharing information about it. I use a 2070 atm.

I'm merely stating the perception the market has, and why RT matters.
It's not about what you or I care about.

AMD/Radeon has an uphill battle here. if they are to succeed they need to be better on all fronts, and cheaper too.

Personally I have no interest in what others use, besides sharing information about it. I use a 2070 atm.
Someone made the point in another thread that AMD is doing a little better than a 2080 Ti in a real ray tracing benchmark was supposedly no dedicated hardware. Could be better, but it allays my concern a little about AMD's solution holding development in ray tracing back.

Someone made the point in another thread that AMD is doing a little better than a 2080 Ti in a real ray tracing benchmark was supposedly no dedicated hardware. Could be better, but it allays my concern a little about AMD's solution holding development in ray tracing back.
Yeah, AMD needs to be competitive with RT, it would benefit everyone.
Shame that some insist it's a "gimmick", I have enjoyed it a lot and will continue to do so.

To win over people that buy brands out of habit and wont change that until there's financial reasons to do so.
A better card isn't reason enough?

I know a lot of people will buy whatever is fastest, no matter what price or color.

Yes, I have since corrected them, AMD does have dedicated hardware, please stop the chain of spreading this misinformation. They organized their hardware different than NVIDIA, that doesn't make it non-existent, it just means it's implemented differently. Anyways, I think the general assumption was AMD would be ~2080ti for RT, so the fact that it's slightly ahead is better than most suspected. Most assumed AMD's first try with RT would fall short of nvidia's 2nd attempt. I'm glad it's doing as well as it is, and we have no clue how well optimized anything has been made for AMD hardware (probably ~zero optimizations).

If there raster is faster, they will have plenty of market to sell to. I think RT is cool to play with but I'd rather have 15 of my games run better than the 1 that supports RT, then the other way around. I don't buy a GPU for a single thing and I only play 1 game that has RT support, why would that matter to me? If you happen to only play all the games that support RT and the 3080 can run it at playable speeds then buy what works best for you, but it doesn't automatically make it a better choice for everyone.

A better card isn't reason enough?

I know a lot of people will buy whatever is fastest, no matter what price or color.

There are also people out there that won't buy a different brand no matter what. NVIDIA could have a slower card and there are some people who will not buy AMD citing any number of justifications for their brand preference.

Become a Patron!
Back