Ryzen 4000 mobo compatibility

Denpepe

FPS Regular
According to this article the new Ryzen 4000 CPU's will only work in the 500 series motherboards and up.

I was thinking about building some cheap AMD PC with some spare parts I had maybe to run a NAS type PC and nearly bought a B450 mobo with a 3600 or even a 3300 now that those are out with the idea of getting a newer CPU in it at some later point and use it for other things, glad I did not do that yet as it seems I would be better off to wait for the B550 boards in this case.

Could this mean they intend to use these board longer then the initially suggested period?

This is kinda why I went overboard (for me) on my motherboard purchase. Asus X570 Crosshair Impact VII DTX.
I give them credit for supporting what they did for as long as they did. Much better than the Intel standard new cpu new socket BS.

Doubtful.

To build on that - if i'm remembering right, the original vision for AMD was Zen 1/2/3. Zen+ was a bit of a half step that doesn't seem to count, though, I could also see a world where they counted Zen+ as #2 in their 3 step vision. With this 500+ series needed for next gen chips, they're signaling that least the next release will be supported, but beyond that, I would wait to see what they signal. I think it all depends on the fate of DDR4 or if they change the chiplet style design - but those should be known in advance as they can't exactly change out the memory controller a couple months before mass production begins...

Become a Patron!
Back