Ryzen Users Are Furious at AMD for Not Adding Zen 3 Support to 300- and 400-Series Chipsets/Motherboards

No issues with my X570 Ultra. Been rock solid since day one. Only thing I don't like is the bios.

I'm not really surprised. While I can only speculate as to AMD's reasoning here, X470 and earlier boards are a mixed bag in terms of PCB quality, VRM implementation and firmware. X570 design guidelines mandated a lot of changes people aren't generally aware of for the sake of PCIe and CPU compatibility going forward. I think AMD has done a fine job delivering broad CPU compatibility and it doesn't bother me that AMD is limiting its Zen3 to X570, B550 and newer chipsets.

The fact is, there are a lot of problems with maintaining broad CPU compatibility for long periods of time. We've seen it time and time again with Socket 7/Super Socket 7, socket 370, socket A, LGA775, LGA 2011v1-v3, and of course, AM2 and AM3 just to name a few.

Not angered here at all, but just disappointed that my X470 purchase didn't make the cut. I understand why, just disappointed.

My 3700X here at home is more than I need for now. I wasn't planning on upgrading when the 4000 series of chips hit anyways. I just hope that the 600 series Motherboards, when the time comes 2 years from now aren't $750.. They'll have priced me right out of going AMD next go-around.

I don't think any of this is confirmed yet. What I read were bios/cpu compat charts and any of that could change in a second if the mobo oems decide they want to. But, they don't make money by offering free bios updates so who knows.

Oh and like others have said, Intel makes everyone buy a new mobo constantly. They might as well just solder the cpus to the boards.

Become a Patron!
Back