Sabrent Introduces Rocket 2230 NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2230 SSDs for Steam Deck

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Sabrent has begun teasing the Rocket 2230, a new NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2230 SSD that targets owners of Valve's handheld gaming computer, the Steam Deck, which launched in February 2022 to critical acclaim.

See full article...

Ok that's great, but I have thoughts.

First - you are constrained by that form factor on the Deck. So great that they are targeting it.

But -- speed is the absolute bottom priority anyone should have for their Deck, especially given that there isn't really all that much of a performance hit even running from the SD card slot.

The first priority - capacity. It's hard to get any large capacity in that form factor. The second would be energy use -- the Deck is horrible on battery life, and sure, it's great that you throw a fast SSD in there, but if it shaves 15min off your battery life, that's ... counter productive. The Deck has horrible battery life and energy management in the first place, no need to help it shoot itself in the foot. A third would be noise - some people have a noisy internal fan, mine is fortunately quite reasonable, but if your packing in a fast SSD inside that chassis that's adding more heat, that's a problem too.

So, very nice this is coming up to 1TB in size - which is great. But if it's shaving minutes off my play time and/or causes the fan to crank like mad, that's horrible.

If I'm crowing about all of this - and it happens to have this density, and that speed, and it's in the same (or better) power envelope -- well, then... take my money.

Become a Patron!
Back