Sabrent Rocket 500GB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner-1-1024x187.png

Introduction

Sabrent has become a well-known name for quality SSDs.  It provides plenty of SSD options that are built well, reliable, and using the latest technologies.  Browsing Sabrent’s internal SSDs webpage we find PCIe Gen3 and Gen4 drives, in various capacities, and even form factor sizes.    

We will be reviewing the Sabrent 500GB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-500) today.  That’s quite a long name, according to the website.  Basically, this is a PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD that is 500GB in...

Continue reading...

Excellent review - thank you! Glad to see some of these 4.0 NVMe drives starting to drop in street price.

Nice review. I almost went with a Sabrent drive for my game drive, but decided on the Team group NVME instead...so far so good.

We had a SiliconPower PCI 4 drive. Worked fine in my wife's computer for a while - it was always fishy that they had a big Warranty Void sticker on top where you would normally put a heatsink, so I left it open air.. didn't think slapping a HS on top of the label was a good idea, and the instruction manual didn't require or recommend a heatsink.

I ended up swapping out the AMD Wraith cooler for a Corsair AIO when we did the great CPU shuffling a few weeks ago. Immediately after, the computer started having issues with BSODs - event log pointed to the SSD. After about 3 days, it failed completely. Company did do a warranty replacement without much hassle - so there is that. I figure it overheated. We replaced it with a Samsung

I have the 2TB version of this drive in my main desktop (Threadripper 3960x).

At the time I bought it it was the only Gen4 drive I could find. I knew it would probably be slower than market leaders like Samsung's Pro drives, but I also wanted to test out Gen 4.

It does well enough for me. I've had no problems with it.

Do you think most of the reason it falls behind the Corsair is simply down to the smaller drive size and thus less parallelization, or is there some other reason (controller, configuration or selected flash nand) that might be the cause?

I guess I could do some tests and see what I get, but it would be on my already used and 35% full drive.

Become a Patron!
Back