Samsung’s New PCIe 4.0 SSDs, Which Top Out at 30 TB and 8,000 MB/s, “Never Die”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung has begun producing the industry's first "never-dying" PCIe 4.0 SSDs. The Korean giant claims the PM1733 and PM1735 have an eternal lifespan due to "fail-in-place" (FIP) technology, which ensures they "maintain normal operation even when errors occur at the chip level."

Traditionally, the death of a single NAND chip would mean a ruined SSD, but that's not the case with FIP, which detects faulty chips, scans for damage in the data, and then relocates those to working chips. Samsung suggests this technology will be expanded to other server and datacenter drives in the future.

The 12.8TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD (PM1735), for example, offers nearly 14 times the sequential performance of a SATA-based SSD, with 8GB/s for read operations and 3.8GB/s for writes. Random speeds measure at 1,450,000 IOPS for reads and 260,000 IOPS for writes. Furthermore, the PM1733 offers single and dual-port options to support server and storage applications, as well as multi-stream writes and SR-IOV.

I find this beyond belief, there can only be a certain amount of failover.
Sounds good on paper and maybe has a lot less chance of failure, but eternal ...
lol.

I don't believe its truly infinite either. It could simply be a matter of the flash being durable enough to last well beyond the expected life time of the hardware. It's not truly infinite, just ridiculously durable.

Yea yea lasts a long time and is less likely to fail before you replace it in an enterprise world.

But HOLY FUDGE NUGGETS DID YOU SEE THOSE IOPS?!

Guys we have entire arrays made up of 100's of disks that can't touch that.

Even our newest systems that are pure SSD are only on par and cost 60+ thousand dollars.

If you have a transactional database the ability to mirror a couple of these is going to be amazing! (Especially if you can hot swap them)

I'm trying to imagine the sheer performance of 4 of these in a raid 5. *shivers* I'll be in my bunk.

I'm simply shocked at the IOPS here. It's flabbergasting.

I've already asked out server vendor about a system capable of demoing these.

Those are incredible specs. I'm curious about the never dying tech. Obviously it'll have limits but I'm not sure how it differs from what is currently is done. Does it have the potential to make QLC drives have more usable endurance?

If it's like anything else I've owned from Samsung, it'll be only annoyingly operable or dead 2 days out of warranty. So I'll wait to see if they offer lifetime warranties before believing any of that.

Yea I wouldn't bother with a Samsung fridge unless I'm being given it to test in QC.

Become a Patron!
Back