Samsung Delivers Glasses-Free 3D Gaming with New Odyssey 3D 4K Gaming Monitor in 27″ and 37″ Sizes

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Odyssey 3D, a new 4K gaming monitor that is said to deliver immersive, glasses-free 3D gaming with its several special technologies, including eye tracking and view mapping, is available to try at the Samsung booth during this week's Gamescom 2024 event ahead of its official release, Samsung has announced.

See full article...

I'd be interested if not for all the glasses free stuff that's been announced over the last few years never gets to market or when it does, it costs a lot. I wouldn't be surprised that if this 37" ends up in the $2000-$3000 range but I'd like to be wrong.

just what we need, a monitor with an "always on" camera.

Nope.

Yea... No... I don't see this working not yet. But hey every advancement is needed
I mean it worked very well for the Nintendo 3DS (especially the New 3DS with the eye-tracking), but with a display of this size and scale? I dunno about that.

I wouldn't be surprised that if this 37" ends up in the $2000-$3000 range but I'd like to be wrong.
My friend bought a 77" LG C1 for $2200, and another friend got a 77" C2 for $1500! There's no way in f*ck any company will be able to sell me a 37" display for 2-3 grand. The 3D tech certainly ain't worth that. I'd would much rather have an OLED than a 3D LCD.

3D tech really needs a glasses free experience to exit the realm of "niche" and enter more mainstream use...

...but it really depends on how good it is. I have a difficult time picturing this being good enough to not just be a gimmick.

But the proof will be in the pudding.

It was neat on the 3DS, but you couldn’t leave it on full time. A gimmick, a very cool one and it definitely dazzled for about the first 30 minutes of each game… then you turned it off.

It was neat on the 3DS, but you couldn’t leave it on full time. A gimmick, a very cool one and it definitely dazzled for about the first 30 minutes of each game… then you turned it off.
It caused me eye strain and hella eye fatigue. That was the main reason why I couldn't use it for very long. It was waaay better on the New 3DS, which also had eye tracking so that you didn't have to hold the 3DS and your head in the exact position where the 3D effect would work with your eyes. Honestly that was one of the most annoying things about the Old 3DS. Another issue with turning on the 3D on the Old 3DS was that it caused the framerate to drop in some games.

Usually it was the first-party Nintendo games that used the 3D effect the best, and with some of those games the 3D would even help the gameplay, and you could leave it on all the time. I don't have enough experience with the New 3DS to tell if the improved 3D would stop causing me eye strain and eye fatigue. But the 3D on the New 3DS was definitely much improved.

I wear glasses and contact lenses, and the 3D effect on the 3DS would only really look proper when I was using my contacts. Didn't work as well when I was using my glasses. I had a similar issue with 3D HDTVs.

Become a Patron!
Back