Samsung Introduces 200-Megapixel Image Sensor for Flagship Smartphones

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Smartphones haven't matched DSLRs yet for the highest-quality photography, but they appear to be slowly getting there. Samsung today introduced the ISOCELL HP2, a new 200-megapixel image sensor that features improved pixel technology and full-well capacity for what the company has described as stunning mobile images in tomorrow's premium smartphones. The ISOCELL HP2 has already entered mass production and will presumably debut in one of Samsung's flagship Galaxy devices.

See full article...

Looks like the hubbub is saying it will be in the s23 ultra. I'm debating that or if my phone will last me the fold 5.

You can cram all the megapixels you want in to a sensor, but if the sensor and lense is still tiny it's still going to result is poor image quality with noise.

This is why old 3-5 MP DSLR's produce far superior pictures.

Generally, resolution is only one component of the final product. Higher resolutions do offer advantages, but only along with increased processing power and better post-processing algorithms. Especially for mobile this is a pretty fine balance, where modern mobile sensors can certainly provide flattering images at the cost of accuracy.

You can cram all the megapixels you want in to a sensor, but if the sensor and lense is still tiny it's still going to result is poor image quality with noise.
The smaller the pixels, the wider your aperture needs to be to avoid diffraction. Diffraction itself can be corrected / compensated for to a certain degree in photo / video optics in a similar way that it has to be done for microscopes.

Still, the additional resolution is typically useful for feeding post-processing (with whichever AI/ML catchword of the day tech is being used).

Also, more resolution can enable better noise reduction as there's simply more information available. We haven't really seen noise performance go backward with image sensor resolution increases; the only time we lose image quality is when manufacturers either cheap out on the sensor to hit a price-point, or on the bleeding edge, dynamic range is sacrificed for improved readout speed. Faster readout speed is very useful for sports / action cameras, or for video, to reduce rolling shutter (the jello effect).

This is why old 3-5 MP DSLR's produce far superior pictures.
These are probably CCDs, so at base ISO, they likely have a different 'look'; but they're just about useless without good lighting. We're also still seeing resolution improvements from 40MP APS-C and 60MP 35mm full-frame sensors as lenses have advanced as well, for example.

Looks like the hubbub is saying it will be in the s23 ultra. I'm debating that or if my phone will last me the fold 5.
Lots of reasons to buy a new phone, but cameras really aren't one of them unless one's current phone is missing a needed field of view (say the ultra-wide angle lens). I'm guilty of that one!

Lots of reasons to buy a new phone, but cameras really aren't one of them unless one's current phone is missing a needed field of view (say the ultra-wide angle lens). I'm guilty of that one!
For me it's the 2x and 10x optical zooms. But really it's just my note 20 ultra is getting long in the tooth.

Become a Patron!
Back