Samsung Shares First Look at 2021 Neo QLED, Micro LED, and Lifestyle TV Lines

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
samsung-neo-qled-forest-1024x576.jpg

Samsung has begun teasing its 2021 TV lineup for users who skipped out on this holiday’s deals in anxious anticipation of the Korean giant’s latest display technology. The assortment includes Neo QLED TVs, an evolution of the company’s oft-marketed QLED products with even smaller LEDs, as well as two revolutionary 110- and 99-inch Micro LED displays that purportedly boast all of the benefits of OLEDs (e.g., perfect blacks) without any of its drawbacks (e.g., image burn-in). Samsung will also be debuting its new portfolio of Lifestyle models during CES 2021, which include The Frame, The Serif, The Sero, The Terrace, and The Premiere.

Neo QLED...

Continue reading...

Are these QLED and MicroLED technologies really competitive with OLED or is Samsung just playing second fiddle to LG at this point?

Are these QLED and MicroLED technologies really competitive with OLED or is Samsung just playing second fiddle to LG at this point?

Yes, they're competitive. It depends on what you are looking for in a TV since both QLED and OLED have drawbacks.

I'm really interested in MicroLED.

I've read interesting things about MicroLED, it sounds like it (or variants of it) could become the new normal for TVs. Get rid of the need for backlight and size/weight/cost/power use could all go down. In theory.

I've read interesting things about MicroLED, it sounds like it (or variants of it) could become the new normal for TVs. Get rid of the need for backlight and size/weight/cost/power use could all go down. In theory.
Except the manufacturing process for Micro LED is supposed to be expensive in both time and money. Plus, you know Samsung and others are going to have a "new tech" tax on these things for at least a few years.

https://www.ledinside.com/news/2019...re_process_introduction_difficulties_analysis

The 99" or 110" is just what I have been waiting for but it will entirely cover my fireplace/mantlepiece and pictures on the wall.
Theres always some sacrifice with best of, this one hits the wallet hard as well.
As Armenius pointed out, better versions will quickly follow so I'm going to try and hold out for a few years.

MicroLED is OLED without any of the drawbacks. The pixels won't degrade like OLEDs do and the brightness is MUCH higher (2000+ nits across the entire screen without ABL). QLED is just Samsung's marketing for Quantum Dot, aka better colors/wide gamut coverage. MiniLED is the short term solution for LCD tv's, it's basically a better version of the current FALD with more zones, but much less than MicroLED.
TDLR: MicroLED is the best but a few years out, OLED is currently best if your usage and room allows for it, MiniLED is OK.

The 99" or 110" is just what I have been waiting for but it will entirely cover my fireplace/mantlepiece and pictures on the wall.
Theres always some sacrifice with best of, this one hits the wallet hard as well.
As Armenius pointed out, better versions will quickly follow so I'm going to try and hold out for a few years.
I've been into projectors for a number of years now but display tech has reached a point that I really don't like giving up the clarity of a good panel for size. We've got a 4K projector but our LG C9 has spoiled us both now that we rarely use it except for that panoramic feeling you can only get from size. When we do finally upgrade the living room I'm thinking some in the 99" or 110" as well and ditching the projector. The trick will be what we can afford and its quality. We got a cheap HiSense 75" Android T.V. from BB on a pre-black friday sale for $500 for our bedroom, and loving it for the money, but its really got me thinking about other things down the road.

I was really considering picking up a new QLED set this year. But I might just hold off for MicroLED.

OLED just won't work in my living room. Too bright in there during the day.

I was really considering picking up a new QLED set this year. But I might just hold off for MicroLED.

You'll probably be waiting 5+ years unless you have a spare $100k lying around. I hope the MiniLED implementations from the big players (Sony, Samsung) are good enough until we get MicroLED.

You'll probably be waiting 5+ years unless you have a spare $100k lying around. I hope the MiniLED implementations from the big players (Sony, Samsung) are good enough until we get MicroLED.

I'm rocking a 2015 65" first gen QLED now. When Samsung called them SUHD. I can probably hold out for a couple more years.

Our living room is exceedingly bright. Many large windows and skylights. I went with the C9 because it was the breaking point for price and the brightest of the line at the time. Around 1000 cd/m2. That being said, yes dark things are totally lost in daylight. However, once the room gets darker the quality is difficult to explain compared to all the other panels we've had.

Become a Patron!
Back