Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney for Not Releasing Black Widow Exclusively in Theaters

Why so defensive? I like her too, but let's separate on-screen appeal and off-screen behavior.
To be fair I don't think this is her doing personally, more like her agent / lawyers seeing an opportunity to earn their keeps.
I honestly don't care who this is about but rather what.
I worked in the entertainment industry in NYC and saw a lot of ppl treated very poorly regardless of fame.
Mostly women, naturally.

The problem it seems that this movie was made a very long time ago, and thus the contract for it was signed even earlier than that where circumstance were very different.

But it seems disney have screwed themselves because they claim to have evidence in an email where disney promised to re-negotiate pay in case the movie goes direct to streaming. That is the smoking gun imo.
I don't see the first sentence as an issue. A contract is a contract. Stuff changes, sure, but if you didn't have the foresight to account for that - them's the breaks. I've got plenty of contracts where, if I had some hindsight, I definitely would have done things differently. But I didn't, I learned from it for new contacts, and I live up to my end of the bargain, even though it sucks for me. I have gone back to the second party and asked that they renegotiate in good faith - sometimes they do, because my alternative may be to go out of business, but they have no obligation to such and it doesn't always happen.

That said, if they have some evidence, as you allude to in your second sentence - that might change things. But only if it happens to be in the context of the contract.

If they just said "Sure we will" and it didn't make it into the contract - well, just saying so isn't necessarily legally binding. It may make it scummy, but not illegal. A signed contract, on the other hand, is legal.

SO I heard more about this in the news today, and quite frankly, Scarlett Johnsson can go cry me a river.

She already made $20M off of this film.

Most people would consider that "**** off money" and just retire.

This is a millionaires vs billionaires fight, and I don't give a rats *** who wins. I hope they all lose :p

Funny how the tunes change. I remember right after Avengers was made she stated she was unsure if she wanted to keep playing the character and within weeks of it crossing the $1b mark she then, like almost everyone else who hadn't up until then, wanted her own solo picture. Fast forward to now and what a long strange trip its been. I support the principle of this because I feel the studios do need to adapt to these streaming vs. theater options but I've got doubts on how much of this lawsuit really had to do with principle.

Become a Patron!
Back