Sega Will Avoid NFTs If They’re Perceived as a Money-Making Scheme

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
sonic-mania-sonic-tails-knuckles-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sega

Unlike companies that have seemingly gone all in with NFTs and the alleged opportunities that non-fungible tokens can bring to the gaming space, Sega has decided that it’ll be approaching the topic with a high level of caution.

This has been made clear in a Q&A letter that was published at the end of December by Sega Sammy Holdings, which included insight from Sega president and COO Yukio Sugino and other top executives. NFTs were brought up during one portion of the management meeting, and one executive clarified that Sega would not be dipping its feet into NFTs if fans saw them as a “money-making” scheme.

“In terms of NFT, we would like to try out various experiments and we have already started many different studies and considerations but nothing is decided at this point regarding P2E,” Sega admitted before clarifying its stance on the...

Continue reading...

That's exactly what they are. They are a way of creating scarcity for something that can basically replicated for free infinitely. It's one thing to charge for software development and for making a profit on a game, but quite another to charge for digital art and make it artificially rare through blockchain.

It's nonsense. It's greed. Pure and simple.

This seems like corporate double speak to me. They try to distance themselves from the recent outcries as much as possible without ruling out the possibility of nfts.

This seems like corporate double speak to me. They try to distance themselves from the recent outcries as much as possible without ruling out the possibility of nfts.
That's exactly what it is. They are only going to distance themselves from NFT's if NFT's are perceived to be cash grabs. The key word is "perceived." SEGA couldn't give two ****s if they are actually greedy bullshit or not. It's whether or not the customer seems them as bad that matters.

Yea... An NFT is nothing but a digital signature on an digital object showing that the issuance of the object is unique if ONLY on the presence of the digital signature...

So... it's... just... bullshit.

Yea... An NFT is nothing but a digital signature on an digital object showing that the issuance of the object is unique if ONLY on the presence of the digital signature...

So... it's... just... bullshit.
Yes, it's a certificate of ownership... for a jpeg.

Put words in a specific order and you can claim ownership of them. Such as songs.

Put 0s and 1s in a specific order and you can claim ownership of them. Such as NFTs.

Amirite?

Same as you can own a handful of sand.
Well, one is digital, and can be copied infinitely.

There is a lot of sand on Earth, but it's a finite number.

You can hold the copyright to a song, a logo, artwork, a digital picture.

This is like trying to limit the number of audio cassettes or CDs that music is printed on - you don't own the art itself, you own the medium the art is on - except that is digital, and the only thing limiting it's reprinting/recreating is... because you say so. For physical media - you get things like serial numbers on lmited runs that can preserve value - NFT is just a serial number on something digital, but you can make infinite copies with almost no effort, so I really don't get it.

I guess the copies won't have the serial number in meta data and that makes it money?

Well, one is digital, and can be copied infinitely.

There is a lot of sand on Earth, but it's a finite number.

You can hold the copyright to a song, a logo, artwork, a digital picture.

This is like trying to limit the number of audio cassettes or CDs that music is printed on - you don't own the art itself, you own the medium the art is on - except that is digital, and the only thing limiting it's reprinting/recreating is... because you say so. For physical media - you get things like serial numbers on lmited runs that can preserve value - NFT is just a serial number on something digital, but you can make infinite copies with almost no effort, so I really don't get it.

I guess the copies won't have the serial number in meta data and that makes it money?
I'll get on board NFT's as soon as the copy of a digital game has an NFT associated with it. And I can then sell/trade that game and it's NFT as I see fit. Until then it's BS.

I'll get on board NFT's as soon as the copy of a digital game has an NFT associated with it. And I can then sell/trade that game and it's NFT as I see fit. Until then it's BS.
That's a good point - if you can trade digital NFTs, why can't we trade digital games yet?

Become a Patron!
Back