Should I go ahead and replace it? Corsair HX1000W PSU

GP40X

n00b
I have a Corsair HX1000W PSU in my main gaming rig (the one in my sig). It is the oldest component in my system and is 9 or 10 years old. I bought it at Directron when they still had a Storefront in Houston years and years ago. I am getting ready to update my MB and processor and am thinking about getting a new PSU too. Not sure if I am pushing my luck with a PSU this old but it has been rock solid for years. Opinions?

Thanks in Advance

I say replace. That is quite a long time. Quality has continued to rise over the years, and your components will thank you for less ripple

If uptime isnt critical I would stick with it until it shows signs of limited power output.
The most common mode of failure is the capacitors losing ability to store enough current.
But as long as you dont need more power than they can provide it will work fine.

Try maxing both CPU + GPU at the same time to see if it shuts down or crashes.
A shut down is very likely due to lack of power.
A crash could be instability but if each prove stable when tested alone, it is likely the PSU cant cope with both maxed at the same time.
If it remains stable under test and there are no occasional stability issues, it is holding up.

I am doing the same with my 8 year old and ongoing Corsair PSU.
It is still rock stable so is staying put.

I've had power supplies last a little longer before giving out. My Thermaltake ToughPower 1300 is an example of that. It lasted for nearly 11 years or so before dying on me.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking about changing the PSU since I will be replacing the MB/CPU soon.

I had a Corsair 750W I used for roughly six years. It served me well with no issues, but I decided to upgrade to a new PSU once I built my new PC. I vote replace.

I've recycled PSU's before. The one in my 4930k rig actually started out with the 2600k but was migrated when used parts from that build were used to make the 4930k rig about 4+ years ago. At that point it had ~4 years on it so I wasn't too concerned about it.

In your case with that many years on it and since your going to a new MOBO/CPU combo I'd recommend going to a new PSU. Many great options out there and in Brent/Paul/Dan's old neck of the woods([Hard]) I'm sure there's still some great reviews in the archives but I'd expect to see some here very quickly.

Ditto with my 850W power supply. Its around that age and still working great. Knock on wood....

I had an old PC P&C 1k that served me over several hardware upgrades .. it was a beast and worked great! .. .until one day it didn't .. Replace and keep as a back up

I had an old PC P&C 1k that served me over several hardware upgrades .. it was a beast and worked great! .. .until one day it didn't .. Replace and keep as a back up

PCP&C made some amazing PSU's back in the day! I remember them bringing out the first 1KW unit, beastly!!!

I would say look at your weakest link in your system, or new system. A couple hundred bucks for a new PS should not break the bank IMO.

Become a Patron!
Back