Silicon Lottery Expects to Go Out of Business as AMD, Intel Optimize CPU Binning

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Silicon Lottery's owners have admitted that it's the beginning of the end for their company. Selling cream-of-the-crop CPUs may no longer be viable because AMD and Intel are getting exceptionally good at maxing out the potential of their chips for enthusiasts, whether by aggressive binning or better auto-overclocking technologies.

The revelation came as Silicon Lottery released its binned assortment of Ryzen 3000 series CPUs, which saw little overclocking headroom. As ExtremeTech puts it, "the end of high-performance overclocking may be nigh."

Manufacturers used to have the luxury of leaving overclocking headroom in their products because they didn’t need that headroom to sell you a meaningful upgrade. Now, they do — and they’re tapping what little headroom remains for themselves.

I didn't know this was an actual company or that you could make money doing what they have been doing. Interesting. :unsure:

Yep. Silicon Lottery has been around for several years.

I always thought the Silicon Lottery was just a term for someone getting lucky with a good overclocking chip.

Back on topic. Yea overclocking of the CPU is getting less and less advantageous. But there are still plenty of other parts that can be overclocked. If a company like Silicon Lottery were to say buy some GPU's, fit custom waterblocks and bin them out for overclocking based on specced GPS numbers. I could see them still having a space in the community.

you want the fastest AMD or NVIDIA card? Have a custom water loop already? Go To Silicon Lottery.

Perhaps they can survive with a scaled back business.
There will be chips that respond better to lower temp, these could be sold with a higher margin for the fewer people that really want it.
Less staff, less costs, potential business still.

Become a Patron!
Back