Smart TV Prices Have Jumped by 30 Percent Due to Chip Shortages

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
samsung-2020-8k-qled-tv-1024x576.jpg

The global chip shortage seems to know no bounds. Going beyond the computer hardware and auto industries, market research company NPD has reported that pricing of smart TVs have increased by 30 percent. These jumps are expected to continue and spread to all display products because they share many of the same semiconductor components. It was already speculated last year that monitor prices could increase by as much as 20 percent due to general demand.

acer-predator-x25-monitor-1024x576.jpg
Image: Acer

Be it televisions, laptops, or smartphones, human beings have never been so dependent on them...

Continue reading...

Yep I know. I am looking for a new TV for my mother and I am very underwhelmed at the price/selection available this year. I'm not paying 30-50% premium if I can help it... her ancient plasma needs to hold out a little longer.

I keep seeing 65” CX’s for <$2k
That's pretty good. We paid $2296 for our 65" C9 back in Nov 2019. No regrets though. It's been awesome and I have zero desire for any kind of upgrade. Last November the local BB had some decent pre-BF deals and we scored a 75" 4K Hi-Sense Android w/ DV plus a Vizio 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar for just under $1000 for another room.

It's all greed at this point. EVERYTHING is more expensive, because they CAN GET AWAY WITH IT..

Price of steel up 145%,
Lumber 126%,
Wheat up 25%,
Food index up 25%,
Cotton 35%,
Silver 38%,
Copper 50%,
Soybeans 71%,
Oil 80%,

NOTHING is gonna drop either. Execpt for my salary, since I still haven't seen any of the cuts rescinded.

It's all greed at this point. EVERYTHING is more expensive, because they CAN GET AWAY WITH IT..

Price of steel up 145%,
Lumber 126%,
Wheat up 25%,
Food index up 25%,
Cotton 35%,
Silver 38%,
Copper 50%,
Soybeans 71%,
Oil 80%,

NOTHING is gonna drop either. Execpt for my salary, since I still haven't seen any of the cuts rescinded.
Hate to say it, but we probably are overdue for a good old fashioned round of inflation. The initial cause of all these price spikes is probably accurate - logistics challenges, supply shortages, etc. But yeah, I don't think they will ever really come back down, even when supply and logistics get settled because some overdue inflation will keep the prices up there.

Price of steel up 145%,
Lumber 126%,
Wheat up 25%,
Food index up 25%,
Cotton 35%,
Silver 38%,
Copper 50%,
Soybeans 71%,
Oil 80%,

Lumber is more like 3-400% up. I was going to get a fence rebuilt this summer.... NOPE! A 2x4 at home depot will run you $20 nowadays.

The lumber issue has to due with all of the diy projects that people did during lockdowns. The lumber industry didn’t anticipate that and thanks to staff shortages couldn’t cut wood and mill fast enough. Most are in the process of ramping up production but with the number of new home starts up yoy it’ll take some time to equalize demand pressures.

Steel is pretty much directly tied to infrastructure projects that every country suddenly wants to engage in. Seriously, we’ve been talking about crumbling infrastructure for over 10 years and nothing got done when material costs were a relative bargain. The brilliant tariffs implemented sure as $&@! didn’t help any, but they are thankfully being eased (not with China though), which should help a bit.

Another major contributor to the burgeoning inflation is the shipping sector. Whether it’s container ships or dry bulkers, the spot rates have taken off because stocks we’re low and now every seller is trying to replenish inventories at the same time all while customers are buying everything in sight. Add in that hardly any new ships are coming on line over the next couple of years and well, expect interest rates to rise sooner rather than later. COVID is also forcing some manufacturing hubs in Asia ex-China to shut down temporarily, which will have a more immediate effect on inflation than commodities will.

Yes everything is higher in price, some of the narrative smells though.
Sure, people 'are inside and bored' sure, so many are also ' inside bored and broke' relief or not. Supposedly people are also doing tons of gardening, yet my local HD is packed with everything, more planters than ever too . PVC prices are absolutely catastrophic, yet plenty of PVC , just at unsustainable prices.
I agree inflation is not necessarily bad, though I disagree we were due for more as we been having plenty of real inflation (not the bs government numbers) forever. Inflation is not bad, but only if its allowed to work right, and that hasn't been allowed in decades. And I do mean allowed, because they always come with the policy hammer against any pressure for needed salary increases, ( and have been wildly successful too).
I do think prices on many things will be lower later this time, might even overshoot down if the market is allowed to work as its preachers claim ( they probably won't let it overshoot anywhere though, they never have on anything overproduction has been clearly noted, but one can hope)
I say all this narratives smells, and its easy to add to it, Ford announced a 'stop' in some vehicles production. Most likely its a pause, and probably something that is not all that uncommon in car production due to a shortage of some part. Could be a day pause in reality, but you report it as a headline grabbing ' stop' and boom, we need government money cause of covid.
Hell banks can't have proper phone customer service, cause of covid, I am sure a bank hasn't had a centralized call center since 1950, surely by the 80s phone service from people's home was easy to setup. All these cause of covid crap really smell, because we never really " locked down" parts of Italy locked down, Wuhan locked down. Parts of the economy did "locked down" I mean many restaurants and hotels did get screwed, artists got screwed out of live shows stuff like that, got a real hit with the lock downs. Many many many, I would say most things never really stopped, and its necessary for them not to stop, might have suffered a slowdown at some point last year, but not much else. I don't know some of these narratives feels like they are making covid a one size fits all explanation, and thats fairly easy to do, I just think theres tons missing in it.

This!

I use Roku's. I don't need smart features.
Shield in the bedroom, Apple TV 4k (apparently now the 'old' one) in the living room, and that's just because the Apple unit is newer. Both perform flawlessly and do a better job than the TV apps really ever could.

This!

I use Roku's. I don't need smart features.

Funny we have a cheap 4k tv in the bedroom that has a built in Roku and it does fine. No complaints other than it's wifi signal strength isn't that great compared to other devices.

Funny we have a cheap 4k tv in the bedroom that has a built in Roku and it does fine. No complaints other than it's wifi signal strength isn't that great compared to other devices.

The TV's with Roku built in tend to use the higher end Roku device at the time. Like I'm sure the new 85" TCL with Roku is using a Roku Ultra.

Either way. A top of line Roku is like $100. I'm not nit picking over $100. Just that the home brewed smart features, from Samsung, Sony, etc, tend to be clunky, aren't updated as often or for as long. I'm sure those companies spend a hell of a lot more than $100 per unit to integrate that when they could just jam a Roku in it and call it a day.

I only really have experience with my LGs... for those - if there is a "smart TV" version of the app, I run it, and at least the LG versions on my sets work pretty well. It's nice not having to go through a third party device. And for me - that's pretty much everything I do, ~except~ HBO MAX. That's the only thing I need to boot up something else to watch.

But yeah - I don't buy a TV just because it has "smarts". It's too easy to do all of that through a third party device, which is updated more often and easier to change out. But if it's already there, I don't turn my nose up at it, it works pretty well, and the TV versions tend to take full advantage of everything the TV can do - like Dolby Vision and the smart motion remote control.

My LGs did alright when new, but as you can imagine LG isn't on top of their software as say Nvidia and Apple are.

I also don't want to use my phone as a remote. Call it a personal peeve as it isn't really a reasonable perspective, I just prefer the 'tactility' a dedicated remote provides.

I hate smart TVs, I do have a cheap Roku one for my out of town stay. As mentioned above, the wireless sucks. It hates the Chromecast and won’t pass thru audio to the sound bar when hooked up to a pc.

Fortunately, I am not in the tv buying market right now. I expect many more things to go up in price this summer.

Become a Patron!
Back