So looking at a new laptop.

Budget? At the ~1800 ballpark you'll end up near fully loaded.

The ASUS one looks pretty nice...

One thing that I pay close attention to is the CPU - specifically aiming for the 45W chips instead of the thin/light ones. That 5900HX fits the bill, just have to watch out for the lower wattage options.

On the GPU side, you'll want to see which specs of the GPU are in there - there's a ton of variants based on power envelope that can impact performance.

That ones does not have a touch screen - dealer's choice on that, but I've found with my work laptop that I quite enjoy having one, and try to touch laptop screens that aren't supposed to be touched as it works well in the form factor.

Decided to update my main PC instead.

Went with a 5900x cpu, Newer x570 motherboard (see sig), kept the ram and video card, opted for an NVME 4x4 2TB Corsair 980 Pro NVME drive, and a new Gargantuan case, and a 1300 watt platinum+ power supply. The View 51 TG ARGB. Was nice to build into it. And transitioning over my video card, memory, and AIO worked like a charm.

One annoyance was I tossed the power cord that came with the power supply to the side figuring they are all the same. Well.. news flash... NOPE. the EVGA 1300P+ Supernova Power supply requires a unique power cord connector. (the power cord is bigger and the female ports are rotated 90 degrees.) So that was a pain. And of course I ran the PCIe power for the video card but neglected to plug it it.

Comment on the case.. this thing is fragging huge. Makes my video card seem small. WOULD like a support bracket for the video card to come with the case. That's kind of a let down. Also all this glass in front of fans with gaps to the side seems inefficient. I'd have preferred to have slatted glass with more gaps for air flow. But it works well and looks amazing.

Decided to update my main PC instead.

Went with a 5900x cpu, Newer x570 motherboard (see sig), kept the ram and video card, opted for an NVME 4x4 2TB Corsair 980 Pro NVME drive, and a new Gargantuan case, and a 1300 watt platinum+ power supply. The View 51 TG ARGB. Was nice to build into it. And transitioning over my video card, memory, and AIO worked like a charm.

One annoyance was I tossed the power cord that came with the power supply to the side figuring they are all the same. Well.. news flash... NOPE. the EVGA 1300P+ Supernova Power supply requires a unique power cord connector. (the power cord is bigger and the female ports are rotated 90 degrees.) So that was a pain. And of course I ran the PCIe power for the video card but neglected to plug it it.

Comment on the case.. this thing is fragging huge. Makes my video card seem small. WOULD like a support bracket for the video card to come with the case. That's kind of a let down. Also all this glass in front of fans with gaps to the side seems inefficient. I'd have preferred to have slatted glass with more gaps for air flow. But it works well and looks amazing.
Maybe I missed it, but what is the case again? I suspect "gargantuan" is an adjective and not a brand. :ROFLMAO:

It's the thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB.

Thanks. I've been looking for a new case, and yours has features I like, but also some that are not high on my priority list (e.g., I like the front button panel, but don't need/want that much glass). It's always good to hear other's experience with their cases since I rarely ever get a chance to see modern ones in person prior to purchase. There are a lot of junk cases on the market.

Thanks. I've been looking for a new case, and yours has features I like, but also some that are not high on my priority list (e.g., I like the front button panel, but don't need/want that much glass). It's always good to hear other's experience with their cases since I rarely ever get a chance to see modern ones in person prior to purchase. There are a lot of junk cases on the market.
The case is massive on a big scale. The power supply sits on the opposite side of the chassis from the motherboard and pulls external air.

The moint for top fans or radiator can be removed for ease of mounting.

The "Tooless" design needs a Phillips head.

I do wish the m2 slots on the motherboard had the snap in retainers instead of screw down with micro screws. That was painful.

My ARGB fan controller board is being RMAd. I've seen a lot of others online complaining about it not working with other motherboards as well. I should have a new one in the next few days to swap when I get around to it.

Another oddity. What I would use as a reset switch just changes color of the ARGB.

Last edited:
The case is massive on a big scale. The power supply sits on the opposite side of the chassis from the motherboard and pulls external air.

The moint for top fans or radiator can be removed for ease of mounting.

The "Tooless" design needs a Phillips head.

I do wish the m2 slots on the motherboard had the snap in retainers instead of screw down with micro screws. That was painful.

My ARGB fan controller board is being RMAd. I've seen a lot of others online complaining about it not working with other motherboards as well. I should have a new one in the next few days to swap when I get around to it.

Another oddity. What I would use as a reset switch just changes color of the ARGB.
Wow, really planning for future GPUs with that 1300W PSU. I understand. I've been using 1000, 1200W PSUs for a while because I used to use multiple GPUs, and then even single ones got power-hungry alongside the CPUs. I'm jealous of the 5900x. Those and the 5950 have been on sale in recent months.

If you do ever restart the search for a laptop there are a lot of good ones in the sub $2K range. I ended up getting an MSI one last year with a 11900K CPU and 130W variant 3070 GPU that's been great for 1080p and even 2560x1080 gaming. I put a 2TB SSD in it and, other than needing a laptop cooling pad, it's been fantastic for what I use it for. With the SSD and mods from the reseller, it came to around $2K.

Wow, really planning for future GPUs with that 1300W PSU. I understand. I've been using 1000, 1200W PSUs for a while because I used to use multiple GPUs, and then even single ones got power-hungry alongside the CPUs. I'm jealous of the 5900x. Those and the 5950 have been on sale in recent months.

If you do ever restart the search for a laptop there are a lot of good ones in the sub $2K range. I ended up getting an MSI one last year with a 11900K CPU and 130W variant 3070 GPU that's been great for 1080p and even 2560x1080 gaming. I put a 2TB SSD in it and, other than needing a laptop cooling pad, it's been fantastic for what I use it for. With the SSD and mods from the reseller, it came to around $2K.
Yea this power supply and case I went with should last me a solid decade. Like my old case did. (11 years actually). I wasn't planning on a huge case just stumbled on this one.

Also picked up a 150i corsair aio today thst will replace the 115. More RGB but what can you do any more. Seems like every part these days has more and more RGB.

I will note that being able to mount my psu on the opposite side from where the motherboard and cards are drastically cuts down on cable clutter. Makes want to get some 4tb regular ssd drives to make a sba share. Meh probably won't I fond have data needs a 1tb one drive can't handle yet.

I should rename this thread at this point because the laptop is all but forgotten. (Still a great deal at MC BTW if anyone needs me to grab them one because it's in store locally I'd gladly work out the exchange to do it for you. I've been around here a while so no interest in screwing anyone over. The years of membership and proliferous posting is something I don't want loose. lol.

Anyway replaced my corsair H115i... it was old.. and not 3 fans... And really smaller. at 280mm. I went with a 360 Corsair 150i elite Capellix. Temps when maxing all cores before were in the upper 70's bumping 80c. Now mid 60s c. Now if this is due to the age of the old rad, extra radiator space to ameliorate heat soak... I couldn't say.

So updating the signature again.

And I just helped a friend build a 5950 box with a RTX 3090. decent x570 motherboard , 32 gig of ddR3200 (would have gone 3600 if I knew he was buying parts when he did.) and a 1tb 980 pro. Using the motherboard heatsink. Yet he doesn't know computers. guy needs it with his chemo treatments and just general body pain he has to deal with getting out and about isn't really an option.

He's happy and parted this thing out over 2 years.. the two hardest years to get parts.

I should rename this thread at this point because the laptop is all but forgotten. (Still a great deal at MC BTW if anyone needs me to grab them one because it's in store locally I'd gladly work out the exchange to do it for you. I've been around here a while so no interest in screwing anyone over. The years of membership and proliferous posting is something I don't want loose. lol.

Anyway replaced my corsair H115i... it was old.. and not 3 fans... And really smaller. at 280mm. I went with a 360 Corsair 150i elite Capellix. Temps when maxing all cores before were in the upper 70's bumping 80c. Now mid 60s c. Now if this is due to the age of the old rad, extra radiator space to ameliorate heat soak... I couldn't say.

So updating the signature again.

And I just helped a friend build a 5950 box with a RTX 3090. decent x570 motherboard , 32 gig of ddR3200 (would have gone 3600 if I knew he was buying parts when he did.) and a 1tb 980 pro. Using the motherboard heatsink. Yet he doesn't know computers. guy needs it with his chemo treatments and just general body pain he has to deal with getting out and about isn't really an option.

He's happy and parted this thing out over 2 years.. the two hardest years to get parts.
I hope your friend recovers as best as possible. Well, even the 3200 MHz should still perform well. Heck, maybe there's a chance it can be overclocked but maybe it won't matter in the long run. That's still an impressive-looking machine.

I'm pretty sure you'll be really happy with that 150i, I think @David_Schroth reviewed one of those. Yeah, we're getting on the edge of 420 for the top tier CPUs now. 360 is still fine but it seems like each new top-end AMD/Intel is adding a couple of degrees here and there. If/when I move up that far it'll be either a 360 or 420 for me. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the simple life with my 3700x and its stock cooler(1st time in decades I've kept a stock cooler in use on a home rig).

I hope your friend recovers as best as possible. Well, even the 3200 MHz should still perform well. Heck, maybe there's a chance it can be overclocked but maybe it won't matter in the long run. That's still an impressive-looking machine.

I'm pretty sure you'll be really happy with that 150i, I think @David_Schroth reviewed one of those. Yeah, we're getting on the edge of 420 for the top tier CPUs now. 360 is still fine but it seems like each new top-end AMD/Intel is adding a couple of degrees here and there. If/when I move up that far it'll be either a 360 or 420 for me. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the simple life with my 3700x and its stock cooler(1st time in decades I've kept a stock cooler in use on a home rig).
You going to extend the life and go to a 5800 stacked cache? :) I wouldn't blame you.

Are you going to extend the life and go to a 5800 stacked cache? :) I wouldn't blame you.
It's possible. I was really surprised with the results that @Brent_Justice saw with his comparative review when there were around 10 FPS gained in some games (and games that I play to boot!). It might end up being a project for the next holiday season. At that point though, I'll have to commit to an AIO. Easy enough these days but that will add to the cost but a 360 should more than suffice, although I might still shoot for a 420 even then. The 280 he used got a little on the warm side but not horrible.

Have not reviewed a 150 series (360mm) from Corsair - latest one was the 240mm from the Cappelix series, but also did a 280mm Platinum one prior to that. It really depends on what sort of load you plan on putting on it - if you're talking gaming loads, 240's are fine all day long on today's CPUs. If you're going to fully load the cores, go PBO on AMD, etc., you're looking at about a 250w load to get rid of, which the 240mms will struggle with. 280s/360s can cope at higher fan speeds, but not at low fan speeds.

For reference in my reviews - the "mild OC" page is the 250w load.

Just randomly putting this here since this thread did turn into something else.

Newegg has 5950x on sale for $589.99.

Too true. Those 5900x's have been hanging around $400 from MC for a while now. Salt in the wound. We don't have those where I live.
As I said above if you want one hit me up on DM and we can work out something to get you one and shipped out to you. Though I THINK you can order that online from microcenter direct... lets see.

Nope in store only.

So I'm willing to pick it up for you just DM me and we can work out details.

Become a Patron!
Back