Soap Box Day. Steam update game process.

Elf_Boy

Quasi-regular
In a preachy mood, seems like the best sub-forum, feel free to move.

WTF doesnt steam have an update all button? Also WTF does Steam only download one update at a time? Usually well below my top speed meaning a second data stream (and a few more) would be fine.

Why cant/wont Steam allow for auto-updates? Ya I get some games use a launcher and are beyond Steams control, I mean all the rest?

It's not 2003 with us all on dial up/dsl 1.5, anymore.

Anyone know a good Steam forum to post these as suggestions? Or have they all been posted many times for years?

Not a bad rant actually -

I can say, Steam does do auto updates, it's in the Downloads section. It's up to game developers on what they allow Steam to update (many with launchers will just have Steam update the launcher)

That said, if you have a schedule set, it can get a bit behind sometimes. And yeah, if you have a lot of them stacked up, why there isn't a "Update All" button is beyond me.

The Game File Transfers over Local Network (in the same settings section, just down a bit further from the screenshot) is AWESOME if you have Steam on multiple computers

1724345636639.png

Interesting, I have all of those enabled and doesnt seem to work.

Or perhaps it works for some and I dont notice.

All I'll say is that its not perfect but mostly works but I totally agree an update all button would be really nice. Can't remember how many times I've turned on a rig that been off for a few weeks only to have it pick one and schedule the rest even though I don't have a schedule assigned.

Also WTF does Steam only download one update at a time? Usually well below my top speed meaning a second data stream (and a few more) would be fine.

I think this has more to do with the fact that it's just not a good idea to install or update multiple applications at the same time. Some of those apps might use the same dependencies and updating them both at the same time might break one or the other in the process or something.

I mean, that's like installing everything on the computer all at the exact same time basically. I'm sure it can be done, I'm sure someone's done it, but it's just not really a smart thing to do. Install one at a time.

With that being said, I don't seem to have much of an issue with Steam's updates. Must be based on the game/developer and not necessarily Steam itself.

Also, how can it not saturate your full connection? What is your top throughput? I got 1Gbps and it will saturate every bit of mine.

Become a Patron!
Back