Sony Announces A7R IV: Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera with 61-Megapixel Sensor

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Medium format may still be king in the eyes of many professionals, but Sony is attempting to close the gap with its latest Alpha-series camera, the A7R IV. It features the world's first 35 mm full-frame 61 MP CMOS image sensor, which is capable of producing images as detailed as 240 MP with pixel-shifting technology.

The A7R IV also flaunts 15 stops of dynamic range. That means the differences between the darkest (shadows) and lightest (highlights) portions of an image should appear more natural than ever.

“The new Alpha 7R IV combines medium format-level image quality with high-speed shooting, extremely fast focusing and an extensive list of upgrades to design, connectivity and usability. This will allow professional photographers, videographers and all other types of creators to capture content in ways that were simply not possible before.”

$3,500 I knew I didn't do digital photography for a reason.

Post 1. I'm a Techreport refugee, so what's up!

The biggest advantage that the A7R IV brings over the A7R III is the tracking abilities from other Sony cameras- the A9 and the A6400. This is massive for general subject shooting. Beyond that, the upgraded battery life, ergonomics, and weather resistance are all welcome as Sony was notably behind here versus recent releases from Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic.

It brings more pixels along than some MF cameras do so should be welcomed for studio work. Especially for product photography.

It would not be my first choice as a general subject shooter for many reasons, starting with size.

$3,500 I knew I didn't do digital photography for a reason.
That's actually a really good price, IMO. But to each their own, I guess. I'll wait for the Nikon's variant, since that's my ecosystem. I will definitely be transitioning to ML camera at some point down the road.

At first glance, the 120MB raw files are the only drawback that I see.

Last edited:
4K60 video is a must, looks like the wait will be longer.

4K60 video is a must, looks like the wait will be longer.
Why? If this is the single most important requirement then why not just get a camera capable of doing it now instead of waiting for Sony? Unless you're already married to the system to the point that switching systems isn't economically viable, but even then I'd argue about the need for 4K60. What do you need it for, exactly?

Why? If this is the single most important requirement then why not just get a camera capable of doing it now instead of waiting for Sony? Unless you're already married to the system to the point that switching systems isn't economically viable, but even then I'd argue about the need for 4K60. What do you need it for, exactly?
Why punish me for wanting something, and please dont make things up I didnt say.
Fast pans are much better at 60fps.

Who's to say I dont have a camera that can do 60fps, you are very quick to jump to conclusions.

Last edited:
Why punish me for wanting something, and please dont make things up I didnt say.
Fast pans are much better at 60fps.

Who's to say I dont have a camera that can do 60fps, you are very quick to jump to conclusions.

When you stated that 4K60 is a must, you pretty much made it sound like any camera without it is useless.

Just poor wording on your part led to the above commentary.

When you stated that 4K60 is a must, you pretty much made it sound like any camera without it is useless.

Just poor wording on your part led to the above commentary.
I meant for me, my bad. I didnt think anyone would assume it is a fundamental.
I blame the beer :)

But his manner was way off regardless.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back