Sony Announces New Walkman Music Players

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
sony-walkman-nw-wm1am2-in-hand-1024x575.jpg
Image: Sony

Sony has announced the NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2, two new Walkman players for music lovers who are seeking a level of audio quality that the typical smartphone can’t offer. The NW-WM1ZM2 is a new Signature Series Walkman with special features such as a 99.99% purity (4N) Gold-plated Oxygen-Free Copper (OFC) Chassis and Kimber Cable for purer sound, while the NW-WM1AM2 is another similarly premium model that’s differentiated by its aluminum alloy frame and low-resistance OFC cable for lower distortion and superior channel separation. The NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 will be available beginning in April 2022 for £3,350/€3,700 and £1,300/€1400, respectively.

Sony debuts two new Premium music players including new Signature Series Walkman NW-WM1ZM2...

Continue reading...

I suppose there is a market for a high priced, audiophile level audio player.... but I am not it.

Yeah, audiophile gear for the road! That's like saying a portable sauna. There is a time and a place to be an audiophile and it's not on a tram or subway rattling under you. Not to mention the dangers of noise cancelling headphones in the wild.

Walkmans worked before we had phones. Carrying one device around is about the practical limit.

They should have transfered the Walkman brand name over to their headphone line. Phones have just killed this market entirely.

I'm pretty skeptical of their claims of it being "higher quality" but even if it is accurate, I haven't listened to music "on the go" in like 25 years.

I enjoy all of my music at home, and sometimes in the car. I'm always surprised how many people listen to music on portable devices. That has no appeal to me at all.

I wouldn't get them even if sony slashed a Zero.

Whenever I’m on public transportation I’d rather listen to music than the kids crying or the phone conversation of the guy in the seat next to me.

I can see that being useful.

I guess I just don't ride public transit very often. I've lived near a city with decent public transit (by American standards) for a good 20 years, but just never had a job where commuting via public transit worked out.

Last time I was on public transit was probably in 2018 when I last went to a Red Sox game, and took the green line there. Time before that was probably also on my way to Fenway park.

I probably only ride public transit once or twice a year on average, but it's been longer due to the pandemic.

Usually when I do, I just kind of sit there in silence and read web pages on my phone.

If only Sony had done something a little different... make it into an audiophile grade smart watch or pendant device or something. Not another brick to carry around.

I can see that being useful.

I guess I just don't ride public transit very often. I've lived near a city with decent public transit (by American standards) for a good 20 years, but just never had a job where commuting via public transit worked out.

Last time I was on public transit was probably in 2018 when I last went to a Red Sox game, and took the green line there. Time before that was probably also on my way to Fenway park.

I probably only ride public transit once or twice a year on average, but it's been longer due to the pandemic.

Usually when I do, I just kind of sit there in silence and read web pages on my phone.
Yeah been a while for me - but mostly it's flights and the airport, occasionally the train (F'n atlanta). Ubers I'm just content to listen to whatever the driver has on.

sooo ... no Wifi = no streaming = no thanks

I listen to my music on my Plex server from my phone while I'm driving around. I don't have a newer rig with WiFi .. I use a cheap $11 bluetooth to radio station thingy to connect my phone to my cars audio

The last time I used a dedicated MP3 player was when I had a Creative Zen Vision:M. I'm no audiophile, so the descriptions for these new Walkmans just sound like bullsh1t to me. Those prices are a joke, right? Is it April Fools already? I guess I lost track of time. I coulda sworn it was February.

I use a cheap $11 bluetooth to radio station thingy to connect my phone to my cars audio
I use a cassette adapter that plugs into my phone's 3.5mm jack. By now it's pretty old and it wigs out, with half the sound channels cutting out until I jiggle the wire. I tried those radio station adapters years ago, but my brother and I never had any luck with those things. Too much interference, unreliable signal, and wonky audio quality. I wish I had a new head unit with a USB port. I would just load my music onto a USB flash drive and keep it in the car. That's how some of my friends with newer cars roll. The CD player in my car makes discs get really hot, causing burned discs become unreadable until they cool back down. Overall I just need a completely new audio solution for my car. Or better yet, a car with an awesome engine/exhaust note, so I wouldn't ever need to bother with using my radio.

The last time I used a dedicated MP3 player was when I had a Creative Zen Vision:M. I'm no audiophile, so the descriptions for these new Walkmans just sound like bullsh1t to me. Those prices are a joke, right? Is it April Fools already? I guess I lost track of time. I coulda sworn it was February.

I use a cassette adapter that plugs into my phone's 3.5mm jack. By now it's pretty old and it wigs out, with half the sound channels cutting out until I jiggle the wire. I tried those radio station adapters years ago, but my brother and I never had any luck with those things. Too much interference, unreliable signal, and wonky audio quality. I wish I had a new head unit with a USB port. I would just load my music onto a USB flash drive and keep it in the car. That's how some of my friends with newer cars roll. The CD player in my car makes discs get really hot, causing burned discs become unreadable until they cool back down. Overall I just need a completely new audio solution for my car. Or better yet, a car with an awesome engine/exhaust note, so I wouldn't ever need to bother with using my radio.

What are you driving? There are lots of 3rd party options and dash install kits but some cars can be very challenging. In my old 2003 mustang, it was fairly easy to put in an aftermarket head unit with an install kit. On my old 2008 Camry, I don't see how you could without major dash hacking.

Sheesh I haven't used a tape adapter since..... 2003? And it sucked like you said, doesn't work reliably.

Is there something going on we don't know about?

First we're getting information on a "new" DVD player.
Second we're getting information on a "new" standalone music player.

What's the news next week?

Are we getting new a tamagotchi w/ ray tracing next?

In my old 2003 mustang, it was fairly easy to put in an aftermarket head unit with an install kit.
Well actually that's what I drive, a 4th-gen Mustang, 1999 model year. When I looked into this in the past, it seemed like a f*cking mess of hackery. Could you maybe point me in the right direction plz? I would really love to replace the head unit.

Well actually that's what I drive, a 4th-gen Mustang, 1999 model year. When I looked into this in the past, it seemed like a f*cking mess of hackery. Could you maybe point me in the right direction plz? I would really love to replace the head unit.
I got the dash adapters and wiring harnesses straight from Amazon. Wasn't expensive. Sorry it was like 7 years ago so I don't remember the exact one. But all of it cost less than $50.

Become a Patron!
Back