Sony Doesn’t Like the Idea of Xbox Game Pass: No First-Party Titles on PS Now at Launch

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass has proven to be an incredible value for gamers, letting subscribers enjoy the latest titles for as little as $5 a month. Unfortunately, PlayStation fans won't be getting anything like that on its PS Now streaming service. CEO Jim Ryan suggests that doing so would devalue the impact of first-party titles such as The Last of Us 2: "it's better to spend energy on making sure that the launch of those games is a massive entertainment event."

"That's where we stand right now. But our stance on the inclusion of first party games in PlayStation Now in terms of what we've done this month is very different to our stance 12 months ago. I don't want to say this is what PlayStation Now is going to be like forever. But certainly right now, given how some of our first party IP is incredibly special and valuable, we just want to treat them with amazing care and respect, and have those launches be clean and pure."

I think the only reason Microsoft is throwing AAA First Party titles on their is because Xbox is in 2nd place. If the sales on consoles were reversed we'd see the exact opposite.

I don't blame Sony for it - why give it away when you have folks willing to buy. But I'm certain that if Sony sees their lead starting to slip they will 180 on this in a hurry.

Become a Patron!
Back