Sony Extending PlayStation 4 Production Due to PS5 Shortage

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-4-pro-dualshock-4-angled-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

Sony has come up with a new idea to combat PlayStation 5 shortages: making more of its previous-gen console, the PS4.

The news comes from a report from Bloomberg, which pointed out that Sony had planned to discontinue manufacturing PS4 consoles at the end of 2021. Those plans have purportedly changed.

“The strategy would add about a million PS4 units this year to help offset some of the pressure on the company’s PS5 production, a figure that will be adjusted in response to demand,” sources with Bloomberg explained.

“The older console uses less advanced chips, is simpler to make and provides a budget-friendly alternative to the PS5.”

A Sony spokesperson has confirmed that PS4 production would continue this year, calling it “one of the best-selling consoles ever” and adding that “there is always crossover between generations.”

Source...

Continue reading...

Would've been cool to see a 'Super Slim' or 'PS One'-style revision to go with this.
Yeah a Slim Pro would have been nice. But I guess today you can just slap anything together and the FIFA miners will buy it up.

Well the PS4 slim is slightly slimmer anyway. But not like the PS3 cost reduced versions.

Guess I need to get off my buttocks and wipe my PS4 and sell it since people are apparently still buying them.

IDK if I should sell my PS4 Pro now or not. I want to play GT7. but there is absolutely no guarantee that I can get a PS5 by the time that comes out.

Or perhaps I should just say F Sony and wait 2-3 years for the inevitable PC version.

IDK if I should sell my PS4 Pro now or not. I want to play GT7. but there is absolutely no guarantee that I can get a PS5 by the time that comes out.

Or perhaps I should just say F Sony and wait 2-3 years for the inevitable PC version.
Kinda the same boat I'm in. I got my money's worth out of the PS4 generation, but I'm not willing to throw money at new games for it, especially now that they are threatening an "upgrade fee" to get the PS5 version. That said, for me it's the next Horizon game I'm looking forward to, and eventually the FF7 pt 2 release / FF Origin titles, but they don't have release dates yet.

I am like you, I stopped camping out for a PS5 a while ago. Now I figure by the time the console is actually readily available either the games will come out on PC, or will be on Playstation HIts and be dropped to $20.

That said, PS+ had some decent titles this month, so I'll probably hang on to my PS4 until I get around to checking those out.

That said, PS+ had some decent titles this month, so I'll probably hang on to my PS4 until I get around to checking those out.
I last had ps+ on the ps3, my PS4 has not seen any action since I've played TLOU2 last summer.

Become a Patron!
Back