Sony Releases Major System Update for PS5, Enabling M.2 SSD Storage Expansion Slot and More

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
sony-playstation-5-m.2-ssd-expansion-slot-with-ssd-with-heat-sink-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

As promised on the official PlayStation blog yesterday, Sony has released a major system update for PS5 today that adds numerous exciting features to the next-gen console.

The biggest addition, without question, is support for M.2 SSDs. Sony’s new 21.02-04.00.00 update finally unlocks the PS5’s expansion slot, allowing users to bolster the system’s relatively paltry amount of internal storage with PCIe 4.0 M.2 alternatives that range in capacities from 250 GB to 4 TB. Per Sony’s published requirements, these drives should have a minimum sequential read speed of 5,500 MB/s and a heat sink to keep temperatures in check for more consistent performance.

M.2 SSD Requirements for PS5 Consoles

InterfacePCI-Express Gen4x4 supported M.2 NVMe SSD (Key M)Storage250 GB – 4 TBSupported sizes2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, 22110Size...

Continue reading...

I was expecting this to land last night, but no I just got a dualsense controller firmware update. So tonight maybe. Then I start shopping for a NVME to put in.

Seriously though, the dualsense controller is the best part of the PS5 so far IMHO.

Seriously though, the dualsense controller is the best part of the PS5 so far IMHO.
I've been tempted to get one for the PC, since, well, you can actually find them in stock and I've heard from multiple sources, asyou say, it's the best part of the PS5

It even has some limited support on PC side, but I'm sure it's no where near as impactful as it is on PS5, and nearly every game assumes you have a XB360 controller on the PC.

I was expecting this to land last night, but no I just got a dualsense controller firmware update. So tonight maybe. Then I start shopping for a NVME to put in.

The controller is the best part I agree. I got the update for the PS5 first then the controller update which I haven't installed as of yet. May end up getting a NVME at some point.

Become a Patron!
Back