Sony to Discontinue Multiple PlayStation 4 Models

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-4-pro-dualshock-4-angled-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

It appears that Sony is slowly but surely ramping down production for its last-gen console. As shared by Kyoto resident and gamer Cheesemeister (via Eurogamer), retailers in Japan have begun notifying customers that select PlayStation 4 consoles will no longer be manufactured. These include the PS4 500 GB Glacier White, PS4 1 TB Jet Black, PS4 1 TB Glacier White, PS4 2 TB Jet Black, and PS4 Pro 1 TB Glacier White SKUs.

The news follows on the heels of rumors suggesting that the standard PS4 Pro 1 TB...

Continue reading...

I would say discontinue all PS4 models if it would help PS5 production... but I bet it wouldn't. They are totally different product lines with different manufacturing needs.

Also I bet some models are still solid sellers... maybe just trim it down to 1 SKU if it still sells well? OTOH who is still buying PS4's at this point?

Google says the PS3 was still being manufactured 4 YEARS after PS4 release. That baffles me, but different global markets etc etc I guess

I doubt they are discontinuing all PS4 production, just paring down the various SKUs

They need to have some production still if only for warranty replacements and for people who have broken consoles after their warranty expired and still want a replacement console.

I would say discontinue all PS4 models if it would help PS5 production... but I bet it wouldn't. They are totally different product lines with different manufacturing needs.

Also I bet some models are still solid sellers... maybe just trim it down to 1 SKU if it still sells well? OTOH who is still buying PS4's at this point?

Google says the PS3 was still being manufactured 4 YEARS after PS4 release. That baffles me, but different global markets etc etc I guess
The prior gen has typically continued production well into the current gen, even with every Sony console save the PS4 having full backward compatibility at release. It seems odd that it would be different this time around. I could see Sony paring down the PS4 line to the base 500GB slim console, though.

Become a Patron!
Back