Sources: AMD’s “Big Navi” Only 15 Percent Better Than RTX 2080 Ti

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-5600-xt-side-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

We’ve heard a lot of rumors about how powerful AMD’s upcoming flagship GPU could be, but apparently, “Big Navi” may not be as big as Radeon fans might have hoped. According to tech YouTuber Corteks, who has shared information from sources in Asia, AMD’s high-end RDNA 2 GPUs are merely on par with green team’s GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. That’s not exactly disappointing (especially if they launch at a relatively lower price), but those of you who bought into those “NVIDIA Killer” rumors might be a bit upset.

“A best case scenario supposedly shared by AMD is that at most gamers should expect to get about 15% over the 2080ti in a select AMD ‘optimized’ titles,” wrote Corteks. “According to the same sources AMD is aiming to launch the ‘Big Navi’ as a direct competitor to the soon to be...

Continue reading...

I'd find this to be highly plausible because, as you said, AMD has usually lagged behind NV by a couple of years. At least, now, they're edging closer to only being behind by one gen. Who knows, a refresh, or bios update, down the road could at least finally get them beyond that as well.

Not shocked. Radeon has been playing catch up with Nvidia for so long, and the huge amount of time involved to bring a new GPU tech to market works against them. When the biz plan started, they targeted the big bad competitor... but by the time Big Navi comes out (why do I want to call it Big Poppy, LOL) that target will be gone. Replaced by Ampere/RTX 3xxx that will swat it away like a fly.

Yes I am a team green guy, but I also enjoy competition which brings prices down for everyone. No one wants an unrivaled Nvidia to be the only game in town... they could charge whatever they want (some would say they already do).

RTG needs to get their dev/release cycle time WAY down. Find a way. AMD Ryzen team did.

I so wish there was a 3rd real player in the market (not Intel) that could balance all this out.

Become a Patron!
Back