Splinter Cell Remake to Feature Updated Story, Rewritten for a “Modern-Day Audience”

Only two I can think of that were overtly and directly aiming to offend would be Duke Nukem and the GTA series, but I'm sure there have been a lot worse than these two, I just lead a sheltered life.

Not too sure what you are getting at by this?
For a dumb run and gun game series like Doom or Quake or even Duke Nukem it probably doesn't matter much.

But Most games these days are much more involving because they tell stories, and build their characters in ways that make the game experience much like reading a good book, in which when it is done, you can almost feel a little bit hollow and empty because the book is over.

If all you want is a gibfest, then yeah, there were plenty of those 20 years ago, but even if you play something like the original Half Life it feels quite shallow and empty today. Half life 2 was better in this regard, but it really wasn't until the mid to late 2000's games started building on this dynamic more, and at least for me, it has made it difficult to go back to earlier games. I crave that story telling dynamic now.

There are a few exceptions of course. The original Deus Ex from 2000 was amazing for its time in this regard, building a rich and complex world with plenty of story and character development for its time. Maybe not as much as many modern games, but as opposed to a lot titles from that that time, once you get used to the seriously dated graphics, it is actually still enjoyable.

As I mentioned above, I played the first Far Cry recently. That game was **** near unplayable it was so dull. I had to FORCE myself to finish it. A stupid linear shooter with next to no story or character development and voice acting the game would have been better without. (whoever voiced the main character/protagonist sounded like a total douche.) At one point maybe it was the graphics that drew people in, but 20 years later that definitely isn't the case anymore. You know that a game was good if it is still fun and interesting to play 20 years later when the graphics suck.

I find that most games before 2005 are pretty difficult to play these days for this reason. There just isn't enough story, and character development to keep me interested. I got tired of dumb gibfests like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D or Hard Reset over a decade ago, and there is no going back. Most games from that era are going to need some SERIOUS addition of writing to be even halfway playable today, IMHO.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprising if there is some more diversity in gender orientation, as well as stronger female and minority characters. Nothing wrong with that. Games are more engaging when they reflect reality.
Realism and reflecting current day politicial ideologies and pop culture trends are two entirely different things. Realism is timeless, the current day will be obsolete tomorrow.

Also, DUDE, what are you on about? How can you make Splinter Cell more diverse, than it already is? One of my all time favorite female VG characters is Grimsdottir from the first 4 games, then they went and tried to make her "strong" in Conviction and utterly ruined her image.

Your in game boss, Lambert is black, does that not count as diversity now? Ah, right it's not diversity unless the game developers go out of their way to virtue signal about it. :rolleyes: And then claim it is the first this and first that, like nothing that was made before they become developers existed.
That said, this was probably necessary.
What was? Rewriting the game for tiktok?
Have you played a game from 2002 lately?
I have re-played all Splinter Cell games a couple of years ago...

Direct quote from my 2016 review said:
You would think that looking at a game that was made more than a decade ago is asking for trouble. But you'd be wrong, it has nothing to be ashamed about compared to today's flashy games.
http://madblog.shacknet.us/tom-clancys-spliner-cell-2002/

Well it is two decades now, but no greasy palmed SJW should touch Splinter Cell to "fix" it. Look at what happened to Mafia, also a 2002 game, with brilliant characters and writing, and they made them all unlikeable, and the rewritten lines all sound wrong, sometimes they just rewritten lines for the sake of it.
A couple of years ago I played the first Far Cry from 2004. The dialogue, story and plot lines were obnoxiously bad. I totally believe that it needs some updating to pass modern muster, even if it isn't diversity and inclusion based.
You found the one game that was known to have virtually no story to speak of, just some vague, weird few seconds long cutscenes. And you extrapolated that to everything. LOL I can't even.
That said, if they are going to go through all of that toruble, why not just call it a new game in the splinter cell universe?
If they just made a new action stealth game nobody would complain. But they cannot. No creativity, no life experience to base the story on. All current day writers and game designers can do is look to the past, and find something that is not 100% in line with their current day sensibilities. And right that wrong, by utterly sniffing out every iota of fan service and fun from it.

Last edited:
Realism and reflecting current day politicial ideologies and pop culture trends are two entirely different things. Realism is timeless, the current day will be obsolete tomorrow.

Also, DUDE, what are you on about? How can you make Splinter Cell more diverse, than it already is? One of my all time favorite female VG characters is Grimsdottir from the first 4 games, then they went and tried to make her "strong" in Conviction and utterly ruined her image.

Your in game boss, Lambert is black, does that not count as diversity now? Ah, right it's not diversity unless the game developers go out of their way to virtue signal about it. :rolleyes: And then claim it is the first this and first that, like nothing that was made before they become developers existed.

What was? Rewriting the game for tiktok?

I have re-played all Splinter Cell games a couple of years ago...

http://madblog.shacknet.us/tom-clancys-spliner-cell-2002/

Well it is two decades now, but no greasy palmed SJW should touch Splinter Cell to "fix" it. Look at what happened to Mafia, also a 2002 game, with brilliant characters and writing, and they made them all unlikeable, and the rewritten lines all sound wrong, sometimes they just rewritten lines for the sake of it.

You found the one game that was known to have virtually no story to speak of, just some vague, weird few seconds long cutscenes. And you extrapolated that to everything. LOL I can't even.

If they just made a new action stealth game nobody would complain. But they cannot. No creativity, no life experience to base the story on. All current day writers and game designers can do is look to the past, and find something that is not 100% in line with their current day sensibilities. And right that wrong, by utterly sniffing out every iota of fan service and fun from it.
Well, this is where I should mention that I am completely unfamiliar with the Splinter Cell franchise. I've never played it and know next to nothing about it. All I can do is extrapolate from games of the era, and in general my comments still stand.

As I've mentioned there were some exceptions, but they were certainly outliers at the time.

Well, this is where I should mention that I am completely unfamiliar with the Splinter Cell franchise. I've never played it and know next to nothing about it. All I can do is extrapolate from games of the era, and in general my comments still stand.

As I've mentioned there were some exceptions, but they were certainly outliers at the time.
No, you looked at the exception and extrapolated that to everything.
Until the late 90s maybe your observation could stand that most games don't have meaningful expanded stories, but even then there were plenty of story driven games.

Either way they should stop messing with the past, if they want to remake it, do it but don't alter the story and characters. If they want to present different characters, and stories create a new IP or even just a loosely connected sequel it is that simple.

Become a Patron!
Back