Square Enix Releases Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker Benchmark Tool

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
final-fantasy-xiv-online-endwalker-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Square Enix

Square Enix has released a benchmark for Final Fantasy XIV Online‘s newest expansion, FFXIV: Endwalker. The game will be released on November 23 for consoles, Mac, and PC. Square Enix notes that the performance in the final game may differ from the benchmark and that it is not guaranteed to run on all systems. The company has also warned that a system that passes the benchmark may not necessarily be able to run the final version of the game, either.

In Endwalker, players will experience the climax of the Hydaelyn and Zodiark story, and encounter an even greater calamity than ever before as you travel to the far reaches of Hydaelyn and even to the moon.

Sources: Square...

Continue reading...

Whatever preset this thing used for my 1660Ti at 1920x1080 came across as potato-grade. Didn't even get the GPU excited.

1626036882493.png

1626036936265.png

I don't think FFXIV has the best graphics engine out there for an MMO, but I've always been amazed where they have allocated their resources. It still looks good despite being almost 10 years old now.

The engine is extremely good at conveying emotions. The character models have a wide range of facial expressions and fluid body animations, and the game designers use it to great effect.

The original FFXIV engine had amazing textures - when they redid it for ARR, they scaled that back to gain some performance. It's still ok, but not as great as it once was. The differences between various types of cloth, for example, used to be really pronounced and I thought looked great.

I'm looking forward to the expansion, but I'm sure I will have some catching up to do once it comes out. I tend to drop in when new xpacs hit, and then tune out when it gets to the point of having finished the main story line and it's just grinding for arbitrary gear upgrades and twitchy raid events.

I don't think FFXIV has the best graphics engine out there for an MMO, but I've always been amazed where they have allocated their resources. It still looks good despite being almost 10 years old now.
So... I downloaded and ran it expecting it to be a true 'benchmark', which if your goal is to see whether you can run FFXIV, it is - but I also didn't realize just how old it is!

And some of those textures are pretty rough indeed, but again for ten years old - really hard to complain if the gameplay is there.

Become a Patron!
Back