Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace Returning to Cinemas for 25th Anniversary

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, George Lucas' polarizing 1999 prequel that introduced audiences to a 9-year-old Anakin Skywalker, double-bladed lightsabers, and Jar Jar Binks, is returning to cinemas from May 3 as part of its 25th anniversary celebrations, Lucasfilm has announced.

See full article...

At the end of the day, I think the only thing I liked about Phantom Menace was the music. I bought the soundtrack on the way out of the cinema. Which kind of shows how much things have changed since then. Not just that there was a dedicated records shop in the mall, but that it was open at 9:30pm.

What is this thing called a mall?

We've had several go under in our little are of Dallas Fort Worth.
Very few are left in the area. Town East Mall somehow survives, but I suspect its because its location attracts people from areas where there isn't much at all. Places like Talty etc.

At the end of the day, I think the only thing I liked about Phantom Menace was the music. I bought the soundtrack on the way out of the cinema. Which kind of shows how much things have changed since then. Not just that there was a dedicated records shop in the mall, but that it was open at 9:30pm.
Agreed, Dual of the Fates made this movie. The rest is.... meh. The Auralnauts parody version is much better.

I was reading a click bait article on the weekend that said Topher Grace evidently did a good 85-minute edit of this trilogy. Based on what I read I'm actually curious to see it.

At its core there are some solid parts to phantom menace. The light saber fights were very very good compared to the original trilogy, and a number of scenes were just too long, not specifically bad. Not surprised that it could be turned into a good 75 minute movie

The only two things I liked from this movie are the pod-racing and lightsaber fights (mainly the one at the end).

I've still got the DVD of this for that reason. The movie itself has an extended version and there's an even more extended version of the pod race on the bonus disk.
Hahahaha I too got the DVD and would use it just to watch the parts I liked. It was cool that they had an extended version of the pod race in the movie, but I didn't know about the "even more extended version" until I saw it on YT many years later. I don't even recall seeing a bonus disc with the DVD copy. That was many years ago though, back when I still had a dedicated, standalone DVD player in my entertainment center. Cuz after those days I stuck to DVD rips.

I also spent a lot of time with the pod-racing video game on N64, and then later on Dreamcast. A fun but brutally difficulty game.

Become a Patron!
Back