Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Breaks Sales Records: Best Digital Launch in Series History

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Is there still a market for single-player, narrative-driven games? Yes, yes there is. Case in point: Respawn Entertainment and Lucasfilm have announced that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has become the franchise's fastest-selling digital launch title. It's also EA's top-selling Star Wars title on PC in its initial launch window.

“On behalf of Respawn and EA, we thank everyone for their support of the studio and the team throughout the development and launch of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Telling a story in the Star Wars galaxy is a dream come true and the reception from the fans has been incredible,” said Vince Zampella, Head of Respawn. “With the launch of the game, the debut of The Mandalorian and the upcoming release of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, it’s a great time to be a Star Wars fan!”

Hmm...

I'm sure it sold well, but this PR doesn't exactly say a lot. There are so many qualifiers that it's pretty toothless.

Digital sales have been overtaking physical sales for a long time now. And as far as Franchise goes - are they talking Star Wars in general, or this particular title since it's the Studio's first SW title, or Fallen Order as a Franchise, or .... ?

The statement is pretty clear to me. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is the top selling EA Star Wars title on PC. It's also the franchises's fastest selling digitally distributed title. Now, in context, that only tells us that it has outsold all other Star Wars titles in digital distribution in the initial launch window. That's somewhat meaningless as you allude to as each new title should do that with more and more digital distribution.

That's not to say it's outsold earlier Star Wars titles in totality. It's probably too early to call that either way. However, it's sold more digital copies than anything else. With all the other games probably selling predominantly on console and thus outselling PC versions, that's reasonable.

As for the last statement in the first post, I'm going to disagree. It's great that the game is so good and the Mandalorian TV show is amazing, but the Rise of Skywalker is going to be a dumpster fire of epic proportions. If you follow the news on that, you quickly get the impression that its going to go about as well as a fat body positivity activist doing one of those falling backwards "trust exercises" with only a man bun wearing vegan "man" to catch them.

The statement is pretty clear to me. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is the top selling EA Star Wars title on PC. It's also the franchises's fastest selling digitally distributed title. Now, in context, that only tells us that it has outsold all other Star Wars titles in digital distribution in the initial launch window. That's somewhat meaningless as you allude to as each new title should do that with more and more digital distribution.

That's not to say it's outsold earlier Star Wars titles in totality. It's probably too early to call that either way. However, it's sold more digital copies than anything else. With all the other games probably selling predominantly on console and thus outselling PC versions, that's reasonable.

As for the last statement in the first post, I'm going to disagree. It's great that the game is so good and the Mandalorian TV show is amazing, but the Rise of Skywalker is going to be a dumpster fire of epic proportions. If you follow the news on that, you quickly get the impression that its going to go about as well as a fat body positivity activist doing one of those falling backwards "trust exercises" with only a man bun wearing vegan "man" to catch them.
Hey I am a vegan man and I am going to tell baby yoda you said mean things about me.

Become a Patron!
Back