Star Wars Outlaws PC Requirements Indicate a Need for Upscaling at All Resolutions

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
PC gamers are generally accustomed to having to use some sort of upscaling technology at 4K, and sometimes even at 1440p but it is somewhat rare to hear of a game recommending it at 1080p. Star Wars Outlaws PC system requirements indicate users with older, low-to-mid-tier GPUs will need to use some form of upscaling for the best gaming experience at 1080p using the lowest graphics settings.

See full article...

Wow that's either very poorly done or VERY demanding. Interesting.

Wow that's either very poorly done or VERY demanding. Interesting.

If the graphics and modeling are so well made that it is apparent that it is a heavy title, and thus upscaling is needed on current hardware, I am OK with it.

If it just looks like any other game, and it is apparent the developers just got lazy and decided to push their laziness out to end users hardware, then that is unacceptable and I hope this game tanks.

Nothing we've seen from the visuals justify any reason for it to need upscaling at all resolutions. Meaning, it runs like *** for no discernable reason.

That's ****ing awful.

I hope the community refuses to accept it and this game tanks as a result.

Developers of all types have been doing this for decades.

We used to have talented programmers that sent people to the moon with 4k of RAM, but now they all use high level programming languages and poor coding practices justifying that by saying bullshit like RAM and CPU cycles are cheap. Let me remind everyone that THEY aren't the ones paying for that RAM and those CPU cycles.

There are conflicts between good coding practices and hyper-optimization, and I am not suggesting they hyper-optimize the crap out of everything like back int he 80's, as that would make the code an unmanageable mess, but there has to be a balance.

It was really only a matter of time before this happened to GPU cycles as well.

I have for a long time said that we didn't need RT. It doesn't look much better than a competently made raster title with good shadow maps and reflections, and it is like 3x heavier on the GPU. The only reason for RT is that it is way easier/cheaper to model a game like it is freaking 3DStudio MAX and place a camera and light sources than it is to actually do the hard work of layering various maps for bumps, textures, shadows and reflections.

Lets make no mistake. RTX was 100% for developers, not for end users.

Same with upscaling and frame gen.

It lets developers push shovel ware with minimal effort and cost, and makes the end user pay for it with ****ty performance and the need to buy increasingly more exotic hardware to play games that look the same.

...and at the same time the games keep getting more and more expensive, despite all of these cost savings.

We need to bring the game industry back to where it was in the 90's, with programmers and game enthusiasts in charge. Kill the **** studios and investors looking for profit margins. We need enthusiasts and aspergers kids like John Carmack who care about doing it right at any cost and timeline in charge.

Get rid of the **** business and marketing people.

Get rid of the **** business and marketing people.
While this sounds good at first, its a bad idea. If you got rid of the business people, you'd end up with a lot of studios either shuttering their doors before completing their work or a Star Citizen type situation.

As with all things, a balanced approach is usually the best one.

I'll say the videos Ubisoft has posted do look very good. I'd also bet that one could find a 'happy medium' between quality settings, resolution, framerate target, and upscaling.

It was probably developed for console and poorly ported to PC.

...by an Ubisoft studio, no less. So I'd expect the porting process to have introduced at least some inefficiencies.

I got this for free with a cpu purchase, so I'm going in owing nothing to it but my time. We'll see.

Become a Patron!
Back