Starfield: First Alleged Screenshots of Bethesda’s Sci-Fi RPG Leaked

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
starfield-logo-trailer-planet-overlay-1024x576.jpg
Image: Bethesda Game Studios

The first alleged screenshots of Bethesda’s ultra-secretive (and heavily hyped) sci-fi RPG – Starfield – have begun circulating on social media.

We’re not sure where they originated from (nor can we confirm their authenticity), but they do look a lot like something running on the developer’s tried-and-true Creation Engine (Gamebryo). The art direction also seems to have a Fallout vibe to it.

You can check out the screenshots directly below. One of the more interesting things you’ll notice is the minimalist HUD, which includes a dial with oxygen and carbon dioxide readings. Players will presumably be tasked with managing multiple life-support systems in order to stay alive in space...

Continue reading...

More Gamebryo engine.... again. At some point you have to evolve, you cannot keep slapping fresh paint on an old house or will collapse under it's weight. Which makes no sense to me, Bethesda owns Zenimax which owns iD , so the already OWN the idtech engine from Doom/Wolf etc. How hard could it be to work some rpg elements into that.... Gamebryo / Creation goes back to the Fallout 3 days or beyond.

Well, I mean, isn't an engine more about what you do with it, or is it something that defines so much what you can do to that it can be a concern?

Well, I mean, isn't an engine more about what you do with it, or is it something that defines so much what you can do to that it can be a concern?
I highly doubt that they will fix any of the issues that are still present in the Creation Engine that have been there since Gamebryo. Slapping a new coat of paint on it is probably going to make it even more janky.

And this:

Microsoft has already confirmed that Starfield will be available on its game subscription service, Xbox Game Pass. Unfortunately, it could be years before the game actually comes out.

Hmmmm, what does this remind us all of? :ROFLMAO:

More Gamebryo engine.... again. At some point you have to evolve, you cannot keep slapping fresh paint on an old house or will collapse under it's weight. Which makes no sense to me, Bethesda owns Zenimax which owns iD , so the already OWN the idtech engine from Doom/Wolf etc. How hard could it be to work some rpg elements into that.... Gamebryo / Creation goes back to the Fallout 3 days or beyond.

idtech goes back a lot too, if they rewrite enough of the engine like id does it should work well enough, and it looks like they are redoing a lot so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now

Hey if it's good I'll look at where they have it's published. I'm not above buying a console, or subbing to a service, just for one good game.

However, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Hey maybe the can use Scratch on the side too...

idtech goes back a lot too, if they rewrite enough of the engine like id does it should work well enough, and it looks like they are redoing a lot so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now
The bigger problem is that idtech just doesn't get pushed much into larger worlds, and that since their base is solid, they can get away with reuse.

And that that's nothing like Bethesda's in-house tech. id tech doesn't care if it runs at 10FPS or 1,000FPS, but Bethesda engines fall apart. id tech is responsive; Bethesda's engines are downright lethargic.

I'd hoped that Bethesda would have better utilized id after their purchase, but it seems that they're not really interested in improving their products.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE VRAM!!

oops, sorry, wrong thread!
The mods will almost certainly come, I agree.

Some are even worth the sacrifice given that they're developed outside the constraints of Bethesda's studio :)

Become a Patron!
Back