Steam’s Library Update Is Now Available to Everyone

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Steam Library Update is officially out of beta. All users can now enjoy a revamped library with fancier aesthetics and novel ways of organizing their titles, such as collections and shelves, which put favorites at a glance. Remote Play Together has also been released to all Steam users, enabling online support for local multiplayer games.

The new Steam library was built with the belief that our libraries are valuable to us – for some customers, they contain more than fifteen years of games. From your absolute favorite AAA title that all your friends are playing, to that solo indie art project that only you seem to love, your Steam library represents your gaming history.

I like it; nice and fresh.

On a side note, I noticed that now maximise and restore of the Steam window on my Kubuntu machine now works properly! Before I could maximise from a small window, but when I would click on restore it would always go back into window mode but be the full size of the screen and my only option would be to manually drag the window edges to make it smaller again.

Ugh.

I just signed in to steam for the first time in a while.

My eyeballs are bleeding from all these ****ing pictures. Lists are always superior to icons/tiles. I don't care what your application is. The fact that I can't switch from the tile view is really pissing me off.

That, and now there are steam store ads along the top of my library. Great. Just what I always wanted. More ****ing obnoxious ads.

Looks like the only way to use Steam now without it being obnoxious is in "Small mode" :(

Honestly hate how difficult the Game Library UI is. I dont mind new, clean UIs but this one has been a real PITA.
Sometimes my list of locally installed games is easy to find with one button and other times its hidden under a few other confusing options.

The moment I got the update and fired up Steam I hated it. When they brought back the list view it was better but I still prefer the old view. What has been nice for me is my invite to the GoG Galaxy 2.0 beta came through and I installed that. Truth be told, the old Galaxy client was even worse than the current Steam client for UI and usefulness. However, the beta is a different story. The UI is now clean and usable and has practically no pictures anywhere if you don't want them. I've had no trouble so far with my Steam Games running through the Galaxy client although I haven't had a lot of time for games lately and haven't done as much with it as I should.

Here's to hoping GoG does the right thing and keeps the interface clean, easy to use and minimal or at least keep the option of how it is now if they change things around later.

Become a Patron!
Back