Steam Breaks 28 Million Concurrent Users, Setting Another New Record

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
steam-logo-destiny-1024x576.jpg
Image: Valve

Valve’s digital distribution platform continues to gain in usage and popularity.

As spotted by games industry analyst Daniel Ahmad, Steam attracted over 28 million concurrent users today, a new record for the service. It was just earlier this month that Steam was in the news for passing 25 million concurrent users, but its growth appears to be rising more quickly than anyone might’ve anticipated.

Steam hit 28 million concurrent users today. Concurrent users saw strong growth during 2020, due to the impact of COVID-19, but it's clear that growth also continued to persist in 2021.Peaks reached each Jan:Jan 2019: 17.6m Jan 2020: 18.3mJan 2021: 25.4m Jan 2022: 28.2m https://t.co/iBRLqLGqAw— Daniel Ahmad (@ZhugeEX) January 9, 2022

“Steam...

Continue reading...

I'm sorry but this is a bullshit metric. 28 million concurrent users... it just means 28 million computers are on with the steam client loaded.. Not open, not playing a game, not interacting with the service, just OPEN potentially updating games in the background.

I call this a BS metric... the numbers jumped up when everyone started working from home and will stay that way until we stop. It doesn't change the value of Steam... Other than a market that can be advertised to whenever they force YET ANOTHER steam update that relaunches steam and throws an add in your face. I'm really starting to think the updates are ONLY to serve adds.

Become a Patron!
Back