Steam Might Be Bringing Back the Steam Controller with Swappable Joysticks, D-Pads, and Track Pads

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
steam-controller-face-1024x576.jpg
Image: Steam

Despite being sold at a fire-sale price of $5 and ultimately being discontinued last year, Steam may be planning to re-introduce its unique, track-padded controller back into the market – but with substantial upgrades. Published just over two weeks ago, Valve News Network’s Tyler McVicker has spotted a patent describing the Steam Controller, but with swappable controls.

It appears that Valve is taking a page out of premium peripherals such as Microsoft’s Xbox Elite Wireless Controller, which allows users to swap between multiple types of directional pads and thumbsticks. The patent shows a Steam Controller with an analog stick that can be switched out for a D-pad, and vice versa.

A new patent has been published from Valve of a Steam Controller with swap-able components...

Continue reading...

I was excited at first then saw the details of the patent. Even if the analogue stick can be replaced with a D-pad, it's still too close to the XYBA face buttons to be comfortable.

If they could make a method where you can swap out the haptic pads for more traditional control button layouts, that would be pretty cool.

I got one of the last ones before they quit making them. Ended up selling it with my extra PC a month ago just because I couldn't get used to the set up. It would have to take a decent redesign to get me to stray away from my Xbox 360 controller.

I forced myself to play use mine for a month after getting it, against a 36 controller it just wasn't good enough.

Become a Patron!
Back