Steam Will No Longer Be Supported on Future Versions of Ubuntu

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Starting with version 19.10, Ubuntu users will no longer be able to run Steam as intended. That's because Canonical has decided to drop 32-bit packages and libraries from the popular Linux distro.

Wine, which allows 32-bit Windows games to run on Linux, is also affected. Ubuntu Steamers will have to find an alternative or stick to older builds.

While most Linux applications will get along just fine, this is a huge blow to Valve’s Steam. Many Linux games on Steam are only available in 32-bit form—they work on 64-bit Linux distributions, but only with the 32-bit libraries. As Phoronix recently pointed out, this also affects the Wine compatibility layer that allows running Windows software on Linux—Wine won’t be able to run 32-bit Windows software anymore. Steam’s compatibility layer for running Windows games on Linux would also not work for 32-bit games.

So, the idea is to make Linux less flexible and useful so that the great Windows to Linux migrations will......speed up?

Plenty of non-Ubuntu distros to use, but at some point they all will drop 32-bit support. 32-bit games will go the way of old console games - found on pi emulator setups.

I think that's the gist of the future. 32 bit support drying up. Surely a compromise will be found.

I've never found the gaming experience satisfactory in Linux anyway.

I'm a huge Linux fan, run it on all of my servers (except for a handful that are on BSD) and on my desktop, but whenever I play a game, I reboot into Windows. It just works so much more smoothly without a performance hit. The games never feel the same running on Linux, even with the modern DXVK wrapper.

So what's to stop people from pulling in the 32bit packages themselves?

Become a Patron!
Back