Summary captions only show ToC

Brian_B

FPS Enthusiast
Every one of the review summaries is pricing up the table of contents

Attachments

• AACF41E0-EABF-4DC2-9E8E-3FAA216D7C81.png
    AACF41E0-EABF-4DC2-9E8E-3FAA216D7C81.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
What page is that one on? I can't find it.

I updated that bleeping plugin a few days ago because it was crashing the server by asking for 250mb of memory....

AMD Offers New Bundles

Does same thing on Chrome for Windows as well.

AMD Offers New Bundles

Does same thing on Chrome for Windows as well.

Ah. Got it. That I suspect would be Google misbehaving. Google is supposed to be auto inserting ads only to the mobile view and they are not supposed to be serving the other articles from the site, but it seems they are. Something is very screwy with that number of insertions happening regardless. I'll see what I can do!

Hmm looks like to where you were trying to cross link to your own reviews of those products

Hmm looks like to where you were trying to cross link to your own reviews of those products

You're right. I don't know what $_$@@$@#$*** thing is doing that. I know that's not a plug-in I installed. #$#@$$@*@$@@@!!

My guess would be the ToC element is near the top of the content, and whatever addon/plugin in skimming your article to create the preview is picking up the ToC since it's at the top of the content.

It should be ignoring it, but not sure how you can set that up. Might run a quick test and just move the ToC to near the bottom, or outside of the element that contains the content, and see if it continues. May not fix it, but may shed some light on how to get there.

My guess would be the ToC element is near the top of the content, and whatever addon/plugin in skimming your article to create the preview is picking up the ToC since it's at the top of the content.

It should be ignoring it, but not sure how you can set that up. Might run a quick test and just move the ToC to near the bottom, or outside of the element that contains the content, and see if it continues. May not fix it, but may shed some light on how to get there.

The thing is though, the skimming shouldn't be happening in those positioning, it should only be displaying links. It's probably some WordPress "feature" we weren't aware of. I'll be home soon to look at it more.

But for that specific article, adding those summary boxes in to the mobile view completely destroys the flow of the article.

Ok, this should be resolved. Root cause - Peter pasted the the internal link into a blank block, Wordpress assumed he wanted a "Wordpress" block instead of a text/quote block and created that widget looking thing (which is smart enough to render the table of contents menu into its text). Solution for the future: we'll create the text first, then add the link, so wordpress doesn't get confused.

With respect to moving the ToC - that will become a PITA - we have 2 options for it to automatically get placed - 1. Top of article and 2. Floating along side the text (it's a dysfunctional dumpster fire this way). If we don't do those, then we have to manually place the ToC everywhere we want it to appear in the article, which will lead to a rather inconsistent remembering to do so....

Become a Patron!
Back