Tesla Recalls 362,758 Vehicles: “Full Self-Driving Software May Cause Crash”

The core principle of personal liberty is absolutely _not_ open for debate with *me*. There are cases in which the safety and welfare of the public may appear in conflict with the rights of the individual, but that is a different matter entirely.

Seatbelts are designed to protect the wearer, and that's why the laws exist. If cannonballs are a serious concern, then you'll want to secure the non-human ones too, which could include both pets and inanimate objects.

For the record, I'm not opposed to seatbelts, and acknowledge the safety benefits of wearing them. That isn't the issue.
The reason seat belts are required is due to lobbiests for insurance companies. It's much cheaper to pay medical for a seat belt wearer than to pay medical for a non seat belt wearer. Or to pay out life insurance.

Want to fix that be prepared to pay a lot more for all forms of insurance.

The reason seat belts are required is due to lobbiests for insurance companies. It's much cheaper to pay medical for a seat belt wearer than to pay medical for a non seat belt wearer. Or to pay out life insurance.

Want to fix that be prepared to pay a lot more for all forms of insurance.
This is the truth of it - unfortunately. But again, they've taken away that choice from me, and I somehow doubt that I'm really getting a huge discount for the fact that I'm forced to wear a seatbelt.

But you are right, if I disclosed that I didn't chose wear a seatbelt (and it were legal, hypothetically), I'm sure my rate would go through the roof.

Likewise, if I'm in an accident and it's discovered I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, I'm certain the insurance company would refuse to pay out medical -- which is their right if the law says I have to be wearing a seatbelt, or in the hypothetical case where it's legal but I tell the insurance company that I am wearing one and obviously lied about it.

/sigh ..,

Seatbelt usage laws are not about personal safety despite what the government's propaganda wants you to believe; instead they are about limiting the cost to society for injury and death that otherwise could have been prevented by you wearing a seatbelt. So you didn't wear a seatbelt and you were ejected from the vehicle; the chance of your survival is low. However, the paramedics and doctors are going to try and save your life ... possibly at risk of not taking care of other unfortunate patients.

I'll just leave this here ...

/sigh ..,

Seatbelt usage laws are not about personal safety despite what the government's propaganda wants you to believe; instead they are about limiting the cost to society for injury and death that otherwise could have been prevented by you wearing a seatbelt. So you didn't wear a seatbelt and you were ejected from the vehicle; the chance of your survival is low. However, the paramedics and doctors are going to try and save your life ... possibly at risk of not taking care of other unfortunate patients.

I'll just leave this here ...

And yet they have until recent years let police get away with driving without belts so they can get out of the car faster. Even worse, many departments across the country have motorcyle patrols. What are the accident risks there?

Become a Patron!
Back